[P2P-F] an evaluation of the flok as colonialist

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jul 7 22:49:41 CEST 2014

dear Andreas,

nobody has made that critique, on the contrary, about every postmodern
scholar has made it ..

it is in my opinion a quite superficial critique ..

the flok was not about a bunch of foreign experts advising people what to
do at all

it was a process that combined input from local civic groups (70 at least,
24 seminars ect ..) and global commoners

at the invitation of the local government, which sees itself as
anti-colonialist

originally the project was meant to combine 7 foreigners and 7 local
researchers ..

the foreigners in case were not experts dispatched by MNO's  but activists

if calling a coworking between local and global commoners as 'colonialist'
then the only other solution is pure  localism

there was no research from outsiders of indigenous society ... the
indigenous scholars wrote their own paper

that is not to say the flok can not be critiqued for colonialist or
post-colonial elements, but this requires a bit more than just blanket
condemnation because foreigners are involved,

it's a kind of atavistic reaction, not a critique I would say, based on a
very superficial understanding of the project

Michel

<< Message: 1