[P2P-F] Web Filters Blocking P2PFoundation.net

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 23:50:59 CET 2014

Dear Friends,

I was travelling home from Dublin to Galway by bus at the beginning of
January and using the on board wifi when I discovered that our domain
p2pfoundation.net was blocked.
I emailed the tech support of the company who manage the wifi.
They explained that we were categorised 'P2P' as in filesharing.
I explained that this is not the case and within a week I received a
response telling me that we have been unblocked and surely enough as I
travelled on that bus today I was able to access P2PFoundation.net.
Concerned that the site might be blocked on other services I asked the tech
support to investigate.
In the meantime I did my own investigation. The product used for the wifi
service is called moovmanage by a company called http://www.icomera.com
It turns out this company has clients all over Europe.
Does this mean that P2PFoundation.net is blocked in other countries?
Well I made a guess that Icomera get their blocklists from a thrid party.
I looked into who might be offering such services and discovered OpenDNS.
A quick search suggested the two companies were partners.
I lodged a ticket with OpenDNS and just got a response confirming that
P2PFoundation.net had been tagged ' P2P/File sharing' and that upon
investigation they decided to remove us from this category and in turn all
the services that use OpenDns categories to block content.

 http://domain.opendns.com/p2pfoundation.net

Success :)

Friends if you find our site blocked on public or private networks please
take time to investigate and let us know.

Also if you have any concerns about your own site being blocked it is easy
to search with OpenDns and they were very helpful in correcting the
situation.
http://community.opendns.com/domaintagging/

If you know of other companies like OpenDNS that we should be checking do
let us know.

Best

Kevin