[P2P-F] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] The Day We Fight Against Surveillance and in Support of Privacy

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Feb 11 18:10:43 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: La Quadrature du Net <jz at laquadrature.net>
Date: Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] The Day We Fight Against Surveillance and in
Support of Privacy
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Themes: THE DAY WE FIGHT BACK, SURVEILLANCE, PRIVACY, VIDEO, NSA, PERSONNAL
DATA

La Quadrature du Net - For immediate release

Permanent link:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/the-day-we-fight-against-surveillance-and-in-support-of-privacy

The Day We Fight Against Surveillance and in Support of Privacy

*** Paris, 11 February 2014 -- Over the last year the public across the
globe was made aware of massive global surveillance conducted by the NSA
and its partners or counterparts, but also by private tech companies. In
response, and in celebration of the victory against SOPA, PIPA and ACTA two
years ago and in memory of one of its key architects, Aaron Swartz [1], La
Quadrature du Net joins this day of mobilisation The Day We Fight Back [2]
against mass surveillance, which will mark actions by civil rights groups
from all over the world. This day is a perfect occasion for all citizens to
get informed, and to act to defend our privacy against private and public
surveillance. Below are actions carried out by La Quadrature and its
supporters today. ***

"Together we will push back against powers that seek to observe, collect,
and analyze our every digital action. Together, we will make it clear that
such behavior is not compatible with democratic governance. Together, if we
persist, we will win this fight."

This Tuesday 11 February is a global call to arms against surveillance.
Many organisations around the world defending human rights in all its
forms, such as freedom of speech, privacy, or press freedom, have joined
forces for a day of mobilisation against mass surveillance. The global
problem is that surveillance, public and private, has gone way beyond
embarrassement between countries. It is undermining the basis on which our
democratic systems and thus our rights as citizens rely, such as the
protection of journalistic sources or confidential communication with a
lawyer. As the Necessary and Proportionate petition [3], signed by La
Quadrature du Net and more than 300 other NGOs stated, any legitimate
surveillance has to be, amongst other things, established by legal
statutes, transparent, have a legitimate aim, be necessary and proportional
to the threat, involve user notification and have adequate public oversight.

Several actions, online and offline, are planned by organisations across
the globe. Events are listed here [4]. Since the first Snowden revelations,
La Quadrature du Net has consistently advocated new asylum rules for
whistle-blowers reporting serious violations of fundamental rights, but
also the suspension of the Safe Harbour [5] agreement between the EU and
the US for all companies listed as participating to PRISM and other NSA
programs, reinforcement of the data protection regulation against similar
circumvention of fundamental rights and support to decentralized free
software applications based on strong cryptography. Today, La Quadrature
has coordinated the launch of several projects:

** Reclaim Our Privacy **

Thanks to the generosity of supporters who helped crowd-fund it [6], and of
Benoît Musereau [7] who volunteered to direct it, La Quadrature du Net
publishes "Reclaim Our Privacy", a three-minute movie that explains the
threat to, the importance of protecting, and the tools to reclaim our
privacy online. If you want to contribute to the funding of this movie, it
is still possible to do so here [8]. Any funds received above the target
amount will be shared between Benoît Musereau and La Quadrature du Net. The
movie is released under CC BY-SA, so feel free to share or remix it! <3

** NSA Observer Website **

Volunteers supported by La Quadrature du Net put together a website about
"Things the NSA doesn't want you to know (and why you should know about
it)": https://nsa-observer.laquadrature.net/

The numerous revelations on NSA surveillance represents a lot of
information that no one had presented in a format that was easy to access
and understand. The authors gathered the information into a public-domain
licensed website and freely-downloadable database. Moreover, in order to
comprehend the system, the website provides visuals of the connections
between NSA programs, attack vectors and compartments. The website is a
work in progress and the authors welcome involvement by others in order to
keep the data up to date and make it more accessible to the general public.

** "Nothing To Hide" by La Parisienne Libérée and Jérémie Zimmermann **

La Parisienne Libérée [9] is a French journalist who sings the news once a
week. She invited [10] Jérémie Zimmermann, cofounder of La Quadrature du
Net, for a song on personal data and privacy.

On this global day of action, La Quadrature encourages all citizens to get
informed and share information about surveillance and the need for better
legal and technical protection for privacy in the digital age. For more
information, visit:
    - La Quadrature's dossier on Privacy:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/Privacy
    - Prism Break: A list of alternatives to software and systems that are
vulnerable to eavesdropping: https://prism-break.org/en/
    - Privacy International, an NGO fighting for the right to privacy
across the world: https://www.privacyinternational.org/

* References *

1.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/12/aaron-swartz-heroism-suicide1

2. https://thedaywefightback.org/

3. https://en.necessaryandproportionate.org/

4. https://thedaywefightback.org/events/

5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Safe_Harbor_Privacy_Principles

6. https://www.laquadrature.net/en/video-reclaim-our-privacy

7. http://www.benoitmusereau.com/

8. http://www.ulule.com/reclaim-privacy/

9. http://www.mediapart.fr/biographie/199899

10.
http://www.mediapart.fr/journal/france/060214/la-parisienne-liberee-et-jeremie-zimmermann-rien-cacher

** About La Quadrature du Net **

La Quadrature du Net is an advocacy group that defends the rights and
freedoms of citizens on the Internet. More specifically, it advocates for
the adaptation of French and European legislations to respect the founding
principles of the Internet, most notably the free circulation of knowledge.

In addition to its advocacy work, the group also aims to foster a better
understanding of legislative processes among citizens. Through specific and
pertinent information and tools, La Quadrature du Net hopes to encourage
citizens' participation in the public debate on rights and freedoms in the
digital age.

La Quadrature du Net is supported by French, European and international
NGOs including the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Open Society
Institute and Privacy International.

List of supporting organisations:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/they-support-la-quadrature-du-net

** Press contact and press room **

contact at laquadrature.net, +33 (0)972294426

https://www.laquadrature.net/en/press-room

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/