[P2P-F] Fwd: Worldwide events on The Day We Fight Back

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 05:06:07 CET 2014

Hey Karl,

Campaigns like the day we fight back aim for maximum impact and try to
reach as many people as possible, that includes those on corporate
networks.
I agree the solution is just don't use facebook but that's often easier
said then done.
I managed to kick the Facebook habit. Though Google will be a bit harder.
While the P2PF encourage people to use free and open alternatives we don't
have any kind of special policy on social media. Our presence on corporate
networks is maintained by volunteers, members of our community who are also
active users of those platforms. I think it's useful for orgs like the P2PF
to have a presence on those networks but to a degree. Personally I prefer
forums such as this mailing list which are independent and open to all.
Of course we should have a greater presence on networks that respect users
privacy and are built on free software and
suggestions on how we can improve are always welcome, but it's one thing
saying and another thing doing, and an active presence on any network
depends on volunteers who are committed to maintaining them. It would be
great to have more discussion and even a skills exchange among the
community on these kinds of issues.
We are currently working on a new design for the P2PF site which will
include a social network probably using buddypress. There is also an IRC
channel. I'm sure there are people in our community that use IRC but just
aren't aware of it. It is pretty quiet though
http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Foundation_IRC_Channel

I really like the quotes.

Best

Kevin