[P2P-F] Fwd: The "Investment" quandary...

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 00:23:33 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is no need much confusion about it, I think -- it comes from an
>> appreciation of value.  I mean the word "appreciation" in both senses
>> of the word:  to like something (with an increasing vector or "thumbs
>> up" from others) and to increase in asset value.
>
> If so, then I wonder why some people worry about corporations maximizing
> profits...

Because that's a second stream of value.  Historically, they've tried
to get both at once:  growth via asset appreciation (a.k.a. "capital
gains"), and profit maximization (via selling as high as the market
will bear).

> Does that mean non-profits suppress appreciation, "thumbs up" and asset
> value?

No, non-profits have a different asset measure.  There, it's typically
social value or earth value.  And they also desire to "appreciate"
things there.

The trick I'm trying to create is a parallel, creative economy, where
appreciation is just as valued, it's just that the asset measurement
is completely different than the industrial model.   For more detail
on that, there is material on the wiki, where the non-physical,
intellectual capital wealth is quantified and called "quantz" (see
http://pangaia.sourceforge.net, article:  hackerspace microcosm).

mark