[P2P-F] Fwd: Matriarchal Studies

June Gorman june_gorman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 19 18:09:01 CEST 2014

I am in agreement with you, Denis, that there is a "deep silence" that shrouds this critical discussion of how people seem to act in consort with their proclaimed cognitively-argued values but often in clear, at least to others, discordant ways that suggest unearthed and unself-examined emotional confusion about earlier learned ways of seeing and being?

This is the "tough stuff" for each of us and I wish that in all my experience it didn't end up being the most critical part of the communication breakdowns that consistently derail great commons thinking with potential great ideas and projects, but in actual practice is what often happens most.  I'm amazed and disheartened by the clear "integrity" breaks that manifest from this discordance, often resulting in the communication breakdowns that derail our getting through these issues to the other side, in any healthy and sustaining way.

In reference to Anna's response to Willi's claim that the necessary "independence in the local economy" trumps these discussions, I am much more aligned with Anna that without this work of imagining all of the underlying obstructions to this more equitable and even more loving world, you probably as a commons, will likely never get there.  We have seen this countless times in countless revolutions, where the bullies still triumphed by being bullies, even if under differently envisioned cognitive ideals.  The ideals didn't ultimately matter, the emotional "coherence" with those ideals and dealing with others with that coherence, did.

That's an emotional reality. It is taught by societies' inequities and cruelties while young I would argue, in order to counter the more innate drive for "fairness" and equality that I have found unerringly in all the thousands of very young children I have met and taught.  It services the rationalisation of our own privilege, to allow it to continue in one form or another, without deep examination about that rationalisation.

I understand that internal need created by the initial "innocence" fracture, taught in sexist, racist. classist societies that want to maintain that inequitable status quo, but I don't think we can continue to suggest we can truly get anywhere different if we don't start acknowledging and addressing it, in all of us who came from those kinds of societies.

It is therefore, and unfortunately because truly difficult work, not at all peripheral to these essential questions of sustainability and healthiness of humanity and the planet, but the core issues to address in truly getting to anywhere socially, economically and emotionally different.

But admittedly, some of the hardest work to do....:-)

Denis, you are apparently in "West London"?  Let's meet sometime and talk more about this and your psycommons work?

June