[P2P-F] crazy idea

Maja van der Velden maja at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 11 22:13:01 CEST 2014

Hi all,

For those living in Europe, there is the Fairphone. The first edition of this smartphone was produced through crowd-sourcing and shipped last December/January. It is not yet a modular phone - but I think that one is in the making. Only 25.000 Fairphones were produced in the first round. Spare parts and a repair manual are available. The second round consists of 35.000 Fairphones and the pre-sale starts in May.

The Fairphone is fair in many different ways (free/open source software, rootable, transparent pricing, non-conflict minerals, worker rights, ewaste solution, double sim, replaceable battery, etc.). The philosophy behind Fairphone is to have fewer mobile phones around, not more. Secondly, the real goal is not just a fair mobile phone, but a circular economy. As a Fairphone buyer, you become an investor in a workers welfare fund in China and an e-waste project in Ghana.

The Fairphone is not 100% fair and 100% perfect - but it is the best available at the moment. All this and more can be read on the Fairphone website/blog. Browse through the pages and blog entries - there is a lot of interesting information.

http://www.fairphone.com/

Greetings,

Maja - a happy Fairphone owner