[P2P-F] Fwd: Ripple Goes Open Source

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Sep 27 18:40:53 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: chris cook <cojock at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Subject: Ripple Goes Open Source

This is an important development, and correctly recognises:

   - base-less Bitcoin clones (altCoins) are a dead end.

   - chain generation for settlement of open bilateral (P2P) obligations is
   crucial to decentralised credit creation and clearing (which will be a
   mobile/tablet financial service).

This presentation

http://www.slideshare.net/ChrisJCook/social-contracts-clearing-union

aims to demonstrate that no currency is technically required to create and
clear 'people-based' P2P credit, which is not the same thing at all as P2P
debt in respect of existing fiat currency manufactured by the banking
system. .

Of course, in order to increase liquidity, generally acceptable currency,
whether land-use based (locally fungible); energy-based (generally
fungible) or fiat currency (in the meantime), must be available, which
involves policy choices in relation to equitable sharing of commons.

However, where I differ from the Ripple guys (I think) is that the
framework of trust within which chains can be generated has to be a
collective one (the 'Guarantee Society' protocol), rather than routing
through individual chains.

Best Regards

Chris