[P2P-F] Fwd: 2013 – Spring Newsletter

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed May 1 20:21:18 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Greco <thg at mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Subject: 2013 – Spring Newsletter
To: Thomas Greco <thg at mindspring.com>

 *2013 – Spring  Newsletter*

*In this issue:*

*Crowdfunding my 2013 Summer tour*

*Articles and Projects*

·         New chapter with Prof. Jem Bendell is now published and online.

·         My new article in IJCCR.

*Recent events & Presentations*

·         *Money & Life. *

·         *DEBTx prsentation *

* *

*Crowdfunding my 2013 Summer tour*

** **

I’m pleased to announce that I’ve been invited to the EU and UK for a
multi-stop tour on the power of currency for people and communities. My
itinerary is still evolving but so far I am slated for presentations,
workshops and consultations in the Netherlands, Sweden, England, and
Greece. I will be hosted for a few days by STRO (Social Trade
Organization<http://www.socialtrade.org/>,
then attend the 2nd International Conference on Complementary Currency
Systems<http://www.iss.nl/research/conferences_and_seminars/periodic_conferences_debates_and_seminars/complementary_currency_systems/>in
the Hague, where I will make a presentation titled
*Reinventing Money: How Complementary Currencies and Mutual Credit Clearing
Can Create a Sustainable, Regenerative Economy*, and sit on two panels: *The
Future of Currencies*, and another which will consider the legal and
regulatory aspects of complementary currencies. ****

As you’ve probably noticed, travel is becoming increasingly expensive. The
CCS organizers will be providing a travel allowance, but it will not be
enough to cover even my trans-Atlantic flight, much less living expenses
and travel to other stops on my tour. That is why I have launched a
Crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo to help cover the costs of this tour. I
need $4,000 to make it to all the places on the tour and cover the costs of
food and lodging. I hope you’ll help me make that goal by going here:
http://igg.me/at/tomstour/x/31801 and chipping in whatever you can. Please
also help me get the word out and share the link with your networks! Thank
you!

** **

This is an investment in a sustainable future and, as *Swami Beyondananda
says:*

* “It’s time to shift our karma out of reverse and get our assets in gear.”*

** **

As a quick reminder, on my previous tour last October I gave a total of 15
presentations and workshops to various groups in three different countries.
If you’d like a review, you can read my brief report of that tour at
http://beyondmoney.net/2012/11/30/newsletter-november-2012/. Your help with
this Indiegogo campaign will make all the difference in building on that
success and extending this good work to other communities in need! Here’s
that link again: http://igg.me/at/tomstour/x/31801. Thanks in advance for
your support in getting me to all these exciting engagements and spreading
the word about the campaign!

*Articles and Projects*

* *

[image: The Necessary Transition]Following our participation last October
in the *International Sustainability Summit* at the *European
Sustainability Academy <http://www.eurosustainability.org/en/esa.htm>* in
Crete, Prof. Jem Bendell and I decided to collaborate on certain projects.
One of these was to co-author a chapter for a new book, *The Necessary
Transition: The Journey towards the Sustainable Enterprise Economy*, edited
by Malcolm McIntosh. Our chapter titled, *Currencies of transition:
Transforming money to unleash sustainability*, is now online and can be
downloaded at:
http://www.greenleaf-publishing.com/content/pdfs/TNT_bendell.pdf. This
chapter elaborates on topics I covered in the anthology, *The Wealth of the
Commons*, which I announced previously. You can find that chapter at
http://beyondmoney.net/monographs/reclaiming-the-credit-commons/.

** **

My newest article, *Taking Moneyless Exchange to Scale: Measuring and
Maintaining the Health of a Credit Clearing System*, has just been
published in the International Journal of Community Currency
Research<http://ijccr.net/>(IJCCR). You can download it at
http://ijccr.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ijccr-2013-greco.pdf. This article
provides some very important guidance for operators and organizers of
credit clearing systems like LETS and commercial trade exchanges. Please
take the time to give it your attention.**

*Recent events & Presentations*

* *

In March, Katie Teague’s documentary film, *Money &
Life,<http://moneyandlifemovie.com/>
* in which I make an appearance, premiered in Tucson at the historic Fox
Theater. That event also included short presentations by myself and Bernard
Lietaer (with Jacqui Dunne). The mayor of Tucson, Jonathan Rothschild, was
on hand to introduce us.

In April, I gave a presentation at the DEBTx conference that was held at
the University of Michigan Law School. My presentation titled, *Debt,
Interest, and the Growth Imperative*, was delivered remotely from Tucson
via Skype, which worked very well. I’m told that the presentations were
recorded and will soon be posted to the web, but I don’t yet have the link.
It may appear at http://www.law.umich.edu/multimedia/Pages/default.aspx.

** **

Finally, I’d like to remind you that if you sign up to follow me on Twitter
or Facebook, you’ll be notified every time I add a post to my website
(which isn’t that often, so you won’t be overwhelmed). And please check out our
campaign on Indiegogo<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/economic-empowerment-2013-speaking-and-educational-tour/x/31801>.
Your support will be greatly appreciated and all donations are
tax-deductible through NEST, Inc.

Wishing you a pleasant Springtime,

Thomas

Thomas H. Greco, Jr. thg at mindspring.com
PO Box 42663, Tucson, AZ 85733

Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net
Tom's News and Views: http://tomazgreco.wordpress.com
Archive Website: http://www.Reinventingmoney.com
Photo gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/tomazhg
Skype/Twitter name: tomazgreco
My latest book, "The End of Money and the Future of Civilization" can
be ordered from Chelsea Green Publishing, Amazon.com, or your local
bookshop.