[P2P-F] bottom-up broadband

Jaume Barcelo jaume.barcelo at upf.edu
Fri Jul 12 09:55:24 CEST 2013

Thanks for your interest Michel!
(This mail is addressed to both the p2p foundation mailing list and
the bottom-up broadband mailing list)

You can join the BuB mailing list here
https://llistes.guifi.net/sympa/arc/bub

I wanted to attend your talks in Barcelona and I arrived late to both
of them. Still, even I was there only for the last 20 minutes, it was
an eye-opener for me. I saw the pieces of the puzzle falling into
place and I realized that there is only a way to go. There is a change
taking place and we are (luckily) moving to better production models.

We are trying to particularize the general ideas you explained in your
talk to data networks in this paper:
https://github.com/jbarcelo/open_networks_paper/blob/master/bub.pdf?raw=true

Obviously we are writing it in a collaborative way. Any thoughts,
comments, suggestions and contributions are welcome. One of our goals
is to provide policymakers with the information they need to enable
the proliferation of peer-to-peer network deployments that can close
the digital divide.

I will ask Alejandro Andreu to update the p2p foundation wiki on "Open
Access Networks". Alejandro has been working on this topic for a whole
year has documented it in his degree thesis. He presented it and
graduated last Tuesday. I also asked him to consider the option of
organizing a hands-on workshop to further disseminate his work.

Cheers,
Jaume