[P2P-F] Fwd: new paper calculating Global GPI

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Jul 11 16:24:15 CEST 2013

via All rights reserved.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2013.04.019

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Costanza <costanza at thesolutionsjournal.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Subject: new paper calculating Global GPI
To: Solutions List <solutions at lists.pdx.edu>

Hi All.

I just wanted to draw your attention to a recent paper (attached) I
co-authored that calculates a global GPI (Genuine Progress Indicator).  GPI
takes income distribution into account, along with household and volunteer
work and the costs of natural, social, and human capital depletion. This is
the first synthesis of national GPI studies to get a global estimate.

We got some pretty interesting results showing that global GPI/capita
peaked in 1978. This means that globally the external costs of economic
growth have outweighed the benefits since 1978.  We also found that
globally, GPI/capita does not increase beyond a GDP/capita of around
$6,500/capita.

Take a look and forward to others who may be interested.

All the best
Bob

*Prof. Robert Costanza** | *Chair in Public Policy | Crawford Building
(132) | The Australian National University | Canberra ACT 0200 | Australia
Office: +61 02 6125 6987  **Mobile: +61 047 801 2393

Editor in Chief, Solutions (www.thesolutionsjournal.com) | Fellow, Asia and
the Pacific Policy Society | Senior Fellow, Stockholm Resilience Center,
Stockholm, Sweden | Senior Fellow, National Council on Science and the
Environment, Washington, DC. | Affiliate Fellow, Gund Institute for
Ecological Economics, University of Vermont