[P2P-F] Fwd: Be part of the new Edgeryders community: independent, bottom-up and self-organized.

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 22:17:25 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edgeryders <edgeryders at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Subject: Be part of the new Edgeryders community: independent, bottom-up
and self-organized.
To: friend <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com>

**
     Edgeryders version 2.0 is ours to build and take to a whole new level.
  Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=a069250c1f&e=d0a928d212>.

             Dear friend,

*We have made it:* Edgeryders has successfully spinned itself off from its
mother ship, the Council of Europe. It is now independent, driven by its
members for its members. That would be us.

After #LOTE2 event in Brussels several of us have been racing behind the
scenes to build new partnerships with organisations other than the Council
of Europe. One reason is to raise some money to cover the costs of
organising the next #LOTE event and some small capital to put into a
crowd-funding campaign for the community. The other is that we started
Edgeryders not to just have conversations and collaborations amongst
ourselves, but to facilitate members collaborations with all kinds of
organisations and institutions all over Europe. And to build legitimacy for
ourselves as a collective. The third reason being that we can see that
Edgeryders is moving more towards action and it would be cool if it could
better support concrete collaborations between members on projects coming
out of the collectivity. This requires a lot of coordination, is extremely
time consuming and quite unglamorous work.

Less than two months later we are super proud to be announcing the first
funded project! We are collaborating with Swedish think tank Global
Challenge, and have been tasked with hosting an online conversation with
young people about the future of the labour market in Europe and the
challenges we face. By the way, we want to practice radical transparency
with this and all other project budgets as soon as we figure out a
sustainable way to do it.

*Don't be a stranger!* Building a real community, growing it and making
participation in it more valuable for everyone involved is a lot of work.
The logistics of organising events like #lote2 are really just the tip of
the iceberg. Asta, Alberto, Matthias, Arthur, Thomas, Vinay, Ben, Ola,
Helene, Eimhin, James, Petros have been all volunteering their time. And
those are just some of the people who’ve been very active recently. Do you
have some time to spare and would consider helping with one or more of the
areas below?  You get to* learn something new, pick up a couple of valuable
skills and grow your personal network* while helping to keep the Edgeryders
community going and growing stronger. Also, increasingly often
opportunities for paid travel to conferences (see below) are popping up and
obviously community volunteers are first in line. Now, if everybody was up
for sparing a couple of hours per week, we’d probably get things done in no
time. Much needed are:

   - *content managers:* curating content coming out from project
   collaborations; writeups of current progress; we need you here especially
   if you’re interested in one of the ideas that made a bid for the Social
   Innovation Competition;
James<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=05d3bb83ce&e=d0a928d212>
    (#ekip), Ben<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=e18894e73e&e=d0a928d212>
   , Ola<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=c1a9b103e4&e=d0a928d212>
    (#unMonastery),
Vinay<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=70ba4e2b36&e=d0a928d212>
   , Nadia<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=43b0ba43e6&e=d0a928d212>
(#sc4sv)
   are already doing that. Ping them if you want to help with this!
   - *network weavers*: welcoming new members, keeping track of the things
   that come out of the network, emphasizing community-generated content and
   feeding relevant information to interested members; do a little bit of
   social media outreach;
Noemi<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=4c57e6b1a7&e=d0a928d212>
is
   already learning that. If you hurry you might get a paid trip and ticket to
   the Virtual Community Summit in
London<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=ac4fbc0bac&e=d0a928d212>
on
   February 7. Ping her today if you want to help with this!
   - Community members who’d like to *learn how to effectively present
   interesting projects, people and places* coming out of Edgeryders at
   conferences and other events with help from other edgeryders; this helps
   you navigate smoothly between networks and build social capital.
Alberto<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=bad91fb71c&e=d0a928d212>
    and Nadia<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=abc12df438&e=d0a928d212>
have
   been doing that successfully throughout all of the last year. Ping Nadia if
   you want to do this!
   - Drupal developers: helping
Matthias<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=cd676fdddf&e=d0a928d212>
migrate
   content to the new platform; customization and admin work are hardly a work
   for one person, also help him test the new site
staging.edgeryders.eu<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=7f84b3c896&e=d0a928d212>.
   Ping Matthias if you want to help with this!

*Share early and share often. *You know where we are on
twitter<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=41a2d6f63c&e=d0a928d212>
 or on facebook<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=552a551d9f&e=d0a928d212>.
Do
you know people who should be made aware of our community? Maybe
well-connected individuals who might get excited? A specific online group
that you participate in that should hear about our projects? You can
just forward
this email<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=a069250c1f&e=d0a928d212>
.

With love,
Nadia and Noemi

   Sent to free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com — *why did I get
this?*<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/about?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=a140dafb01&e=d0a928d212&c=a069250c1f>
unsubscribe from this
list<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=a140dafb01&e=d0a928d212&c=a069250c1f>|
update
subscription preferences<http://edgeryders.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&id=a140dafb01&e=d0a928d212>
Edgeryders · in Europe · Brussels 0  [image: Email Marketing Powered by
MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=2426561089e1f5ab32da252cd&afl=1>

--
Kevin Carson
Karl Hess Chair in Social Theory, Research Associate

"You have no authority that we are bound to respect" -- John Perry Barlow
"We are legion. We never forgive. We never forget. Expect us" -- Anonymous

Homebrew Industrial Revolution:  A Low-Overhead Manifesto
http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com
Desktop Regulatory State http://desktopregulatorystate.wordpress.com