[P2P-F] Fwd: Ancient Athens didn't have politicians. Is there a lesson for us?

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 22:13:45 CET 2013

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 02:17:07 PM M. Fioretti wrote:
> I seriously think you misunderstood me (it could be my fault, of course)

> I'd rather be ruled by bureaucrats and technocrats that are really,
> really accountable, rather than from continuous vote of many
> individuals who are (including ME, of course) thouroughly
> disinterested and incompetent on many topics,

Marco,

You seem to be saying that the world is too complex for you to be involved in
making policy.  The nation-states of the world today are all authoritarian in
that a tiny fraction of the population create policy which affects everyone.
It doesn't mean so much to say we are equal "under the law" if we aren't all
equal "over the law".  Large-scale coordination can overwhelm the individual,
but that's the point of avoiding authoritarian government.  We must continue
to break down barriers between the government and the governed, and IMO your
participation is needed.

Democracy is about participation in creating outcomes, and has nothing in
particular to do with voting.  If you aren't competent to create policy then
you have no business participating in a popularity contest for bureaucrats who
can only claim to be competent.  That is sham democracy.

A final thought from me on complexity: It *IS* relative to one's ability to
understand and manage the underlying dynamics, and yes, choosing not to "live
a certain way" can be key to achieving simplification.

-Karl