[P2P-F] Fwd: Ancient Athens didn't have politicians. Is there a lesson for us?

James Gien Varney-Wong gien at ingienous.com
Sat Jan 12 11:10:16 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

I forgot to attach the webpage of City Think Space who led the
Kokstad/Franklin integrated sustainable development plan. Here it is:

http://citythinkspace.com/kokstad-franklin-integrated-sustainable-development-plan/

This page provides an overview of the spatial design concepts applied.

Kindest
Gien

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> As far as I understand it the original western democracies, and especially
> the U.S., were designed as Republics, and explicitely anti-democratic, i.e.
> designed to defend the power of the enlightened property owners against the
> 'mob'. All the more real elements of democracy, such as universal suffrage
> of all genders, were imposed later through long-standing social
> mobilizations ... The Electoral College is just one example of an technique
> specifically aimed at not having the people directly decide ...
>
> Michel
>

> XXX
>
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:05:04 -0600
> From: Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com>
>
> Subject: Re: [P2P-F] Fwd: Ancient Athens didn't have politicians. Is
>         there a lesson for us?
>

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM, George Dafermos - TBM
> <G.N.Dafermos at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> > i suppose that was probably meant as a joke, right?
> > x,
>
> Hah, I guess I should have clarified.  I mean "nominally" or legally
> it has a government of, by, and for the People since the Constitution
> remains the "highest" Law of the United States.  Such as it is, if one
> were to take the issues to court on where it was failing, the courts
> would have to uphold this standard and ideal.  The fact that the
> People have let their government deteriorate through neglect, and the
> void of power, left thereby, be filled by those with less noble ideals
> is a shame.  But, nonetheless, I don't think it can copy Greece's
> model of democracy, where it was supposed to be an indivisible unit.
>
> mark

> #82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails
*Birtha Calloway*

Web: www.ingienous.com
Email: gien at ingienous.com
Phone: +27 71 642 5521 (SA)