[P2P-F] Fwd: Ancient Athens didn't have politicians. Is there a lesson for us?

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Jan 12 04:48:47 CET 2013

Hi Mark,

As far as I understand it the original western democracies, and especially
the U.S., were designed as Republics, and explicitely anti-democratic, i.e.
designed to defend the power of the enlightened property owners against the
'mob'. All the more real elements of democracy, such as universal suffrage
of all genders, were imposed later through long-standing social
mobilizations ... The Electoral College is just one example of an technique
specifically aimed at not having the people directly decide ...

Michel

XXX