[P2P-F] Do we know about Linked Data ? Are we interested is understanding its potentials ? Quick survey - Thanks !

Brent Shambaugh brent.shambaugh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 22:59:34 CET 2013

Hi All,

Since around mid-march or so I've spent time trying to refining the ideas
from my Distributed Economy blog (
http://www.adistributedeconomy.blogspot.com/) into a proposal. I kind of
felt like I was teaching myself all of computer science. Even though I felt
I was learning quite a bit, it came at a considerable cost to myself. It is
hard to think in a peer-to-peer fashion while questioning the fabric of
academia and industry. I felt that I did not fit in anywhere and was unsure
build a business model around it. Physically, it seemed that way too. I
also became very cynical. I grew isolated, but thought I needed time for
self-study so what I was writing was credible, competitive and lucid enough
that I could put faith in it to be confident with others. Still, it's scope
was huge, enough to be not taken seriously by itself I guess. I felt I
basically was trying to change the operating system of the planet, and
everything else was built on top of that (businesses, academia, etc...).
Was the value network the business model? That, and maybe support? Do I
just try to start something like Linux and hope for the best? That's the
sort of scale I was envisioning. Fortunately, the web efforts have done a
lot of the groundwork. It's more of a use then. It's hard to say I did much
beyond understanding and some aggregation of connections that others might
not have seen. People tell you to hold on to some things in private, while
at the same time you want to integrate with the rest of the community.
Maybe what I have is significant, maybe it is not. It would be great to
share it. I believe enough in it to think it could help people. I'm almost
done with what seems to resemble a 20 page outline. I do not want to
fragment the community (or be fragmented from it), but at the same time I
need some sustainable way to survive. Paradoxically, it seems it needs the
support and the efforts and the ideas of the community to succeed. Are
there any solutions? I'm sorry if I come off as arrogant in any way.

-Brent