No subject

Mon Dec 16 11:25:13 CET 2013

subcultures,

I notice tribes converging, and the living place becoming a learning and
production place, all in one...
These places can even be temporary, or nomadic,
providing we can reduce the threshold for certain forms of ( nomadic )
infrastructures, or relay bases for such networks.

http://nomadbase.org/

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19g_XYezo_jHEZINUqZNZUswZaLsuNHpvbsT=
3vNkW3eU/edit#slide=3Did.p

I appreciate the idea of spimed shelter, Eric Hunting's use of
"Furnitecture" ( for recreating spaces in any indoor space, or outdoors ),
and the potential to combine it with function , in a parametric and modular
approach,
and in combination with the Internet of Things - as Spimes that can easily
be assembled and dis-assembled by anyone, aided by mobile information
technologies.

Using potentials for Semantic Technologies, in such kind of ways
http://docs.google.com/presentation/d/156YzIeH-eoYFl9nMzFxofQ55KVoksqusS0pY=
YL4WVaA/edit
( note : various projects work on this , but need more support, including
UX / designers , ... - and existing code, for example from this particular
research project, needs to be cleaned or re-worked
https://github.com/automenta/netentionjs2 )

Can we use such contextualizations to create shared engagement, and
community ?

What limited resources could we bring in, as some form of "Learner's
Cooperative" ?

note : the two lists this is being shared with

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com>wrote=
:

> [...]
> > communist/revolutionary science]
> >
> http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ELiSS0403A_Guest_paper.pdf
> >

> > Pedagogy of Excess
> >
> http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Pedagogy-of-Excess-preprin=
> .
> > pdf
> >

> >                                         Student as Producer: A Pedagogy
> for
> > the Avant-Garde; or, how do
> > revolutionary teachers teach?
> > http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/15-72-1-pb-1.pdf
> >

> > The Social Science Centre, Lincoln, take the ideas and the pedagogy of
> > Student as Producer out of the university and, in one sense, is an
> attempt
> > to develop it without the constraints of existing institutional forms.
> > It's an experiment:
> >

> http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/news/an-experiment-in-free-co-operative-=
hi
> > gher-education
> >
> > As for co-operatives as a new model for higher education, I think it's
> > worth pursuing this as a transitional model to a post-capitalist form o=
> > higher education institution. I've been trying to think about 'academic
> > labour' and the university as a 'means of production' and extending thi=
> > idea to co-operation. I posted some thoughts here:
> >
> > The association of free and equal producers
> >
> > http://josswinn.org/2013/06/the-association-of-free-and-equal-producers=
/

> > Notes towards a critique of =8CLabour Managed Firms=B9
> >

> http://josswinn.org/2013/07/notes-towards-a-critique-of-labour-managed-fi=
rm
> > s/
> >
> > What is =8Cacademic labour=B9?
> >
> > http://josswinn.org/2013/07/what-is-academic-labour/
> >
> > My friend, Richard Hall also writes about this stuff, too:
> >
> > http://www.richard-hall.org/
> >
> > All the best,
> > Joss
> >

> > The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln,
> has
> > established an international reputation based on high student
> satisfaction,
> > excellent graduate employment and world-class research.
> >
> > The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.
> If
> > you have received this email in error please notify the sender
> immediately
> > and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to another
> > person or take copies.
> >
> > Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln
> makes
> > every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot
> guarantee
> > this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.
> >
> > The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance
> with
> > its policies and English law. Further information can be found at:

--047d7bdc7b967bd70104edb0d3d3

iversity approach.</div><div>I notice there are several , potentially overl=
ential of a<b> &quot;learners cooperative&quot;</b> point of perspective , =
as a cultural trend to <b>adapt to de-monetization</b> , support forms of s=
ocial and environmental regeneration, enable alternatives not as dependent =
( and yet potentially overlapping ) of the mainstream narratives.</div>
v>
 topics - but still tried/try to make a monetized business out of it ?<br>A=
nd I guess it is legitimate, especially if one needs to limit the risks one=
 can take ( for example, in regards to family, if there is dependency on mo=
rtgage, loans, etc )<br>
<b>Can we do it ... without money, at all ? =A0Or... by reducing dependency=
 to money to the minimum ? ... and by doing so, make such approaches scalab=
le, not only online, but as potential interfaces for the creation and sprea=
ding of emergent viable systems, accessible to any form of intelligence acr=
oss the globe ?</b></div>
 isolated or marginalized by working on such research.</div><div>Finding wa=
ys to engage people, when most people seem to be stuck in hopes or needs to=
 get something out of a rat race narrative, is not easy.</div>
oach, which would enable them to more easily support certain forms of commo=
 out of such capitalist rat race ( deliberately or not ) , or who still hav=
e a foot in it but may already have secured themselves,</div>
other, living together, may be a starting point ? Including young or older =
who want to create a shared experience together, using learning as a vector=
 for convergence and engagement ? =A0Potentially leading to further incubat=
ion of modules for systemic alternatives. =A0 Tribes converging, even for s=
hort term events or festivals, yet experiencing a more festivalism paradigm=
 , as opposed to a society of the spectacle ?</div>
v>
watch?v=3DfZ91Kj-4q2o#t=3D1">video shared by Joe</a>=A0=A0talks about &quot=
 topics , including &quot;degrees and certifications&quot;.<br>
n for learning, although it may be one of the possible intersections.</div>=
o certainly be <b>beneficial</b> for those who are dependent on the academi=
hem well in their approach !</div>
edia.org/wiki/Producer_cooperative">&quot;producers cooperative&quot;</a></=
Similarly, one could imagine a <b><a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C=
onsumer_cooperative">&quot;consumers cooperative&quot;</a></b> in relation =
cles such as</div>
ransformed-and-its-beneficiaries">http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/crede=

tiate priorities in terms of learning ?</b> ( and in producing new knowledg=
tion&quot; and &quot;consumption&quot; when it comes to learning ? =A0=A0</=
div>
ation lists,</div><div>what happens when everyone becomes a producer and a =
b></div><div>That is, not even alter-monetize - but &quot;no money&quot;.</=
,</div>
crafted prioritization of objectives and the specific markets it decides to=
 create via artificial scarcity , and tribute to such hierarchy of artifici=
al scarcity ? )</div>
/div><div>When we generate communities based on principles of &quot; equipo=
tentiality &quot;</div>
we can collectively shift our inter-dependencies to a communal shareholding=
 relational dynamic ?</div>
pology_-_Fiske">http://p2pfoundation.net/Relational_Model_Typology_-_Fiske<=
v>
I do feel that Open Learning approaches do tend towards this...</div><div><=
br></div><div>In effect, what would universities ( still ) be selling ?=A0<=
ials melting more broadly into a reputation economy, and more directly rela=
ted to records of experience from peers rather then approval by authority.<=
/b></div>
fting to a &quot;learners based cooperative&quot;, generating their own ( p=
otentially self organizing ) shared learning and experience environments ?<=
/b></div>
teaching&quot; (=A0<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_teaching">h=
y imagine further stages, which are already experimented with in certain le=
arning environments, including support between the learners to guide each o=
ther, or between different generations.=A0</div>
.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud.html">Hole in the Wall<=
/a> / <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimally_invasive_education"=
>Minimally Invasive Learning</a> / Learning through Teaching&quot; or &quot=
;<a href=3D"http://www.ted.com/talks/dave_eggers_makes_his_ted_prize_wish_o=
nce_upon_a_school.html">Once Upon a School</a>&quot; )</div>
capitalist societies at least, is being maintained, imho it is very likely =
that money will not be made accessible to an increasing part of the populat=
ion. =A0Actually, it is already the case, from my point of perspective. =A0=
vironments , infrastructures that can face and thrive despite , and with de=
monetization, still enabling us to co-create the solutions we need to facil=
itate our survival.</b></div>
d with by many of us on this list already opens up such potentials,</div><d=
iv>leading the internet / social media to be used to re-create, even tempor=
arily, shared learning environments,</div>
at if we can adopt various approaches, including community participatory re=
search, and forms of blended learning,</div>
9;ll re-paste this link=A0<a href=3D"http://emergentbydesign.com/2012/01/08=
/93-superhero-schools-collaboratories-incubators-accelerators-hubs-for-soci=
al-tech-innovation/">http://emergentbydesign.com/2012/01/08/93-superhero-sc=
hools-collaboratories-incubators-accelerators-hubs-for-social-tech-innovati=
on/</a>=A0=A0</div>
 limited within certain subcultures, yet growing,</div><div>with subculture=
s converging with each other, including through what today seems to be call=
ed &quot;the sharing economy&quot;, converging with &quot;(Social ) Incubat=
or&quot; narratives.</div>
com/">https://embassynetwork.com/</a><br>
 converging, and the living place becoming a learning and production place,=
 all in one...=A0</div>
 can reduce the threshold for certain forms of ( nomadic ) infrastructures,=
://nomadbase.org/">http://nomadbase.org/</a><br>
/19g_XYezo_jHEZINUqZNZUswZaLsuNHpvbsT3vNkW3eU/edit#slide=3Did.p">https://do=
cs.google.com/presentation/d/19g_XYezo_jHEZINUqZNZUswZaLsuNHpvbsT3vNkW3eU/e=
dit#slide=3Did.p</a><br>
ting&#39;s use of &quot;Furnitecture&quot; ( for recreating spaces in any i=
ndoor space, or outdoors ), and the potential to combine it with function ,=
 in a parametric and modular approach,</div>
sily be assembled and dis-assembled by anyone, aided by mobile information =
logies, in such kind of ways</div>
fQ55KVoksqusS0pYYL4WVaA/edit">http://docs.google.com/presentation/d/156YzIe=
us projects work on this , but need more support, including UX / designers =
, ... - and existing code, for example from this particular research projec=
t, needs to be cleaned or re-worked <a href=3D"https://github.com/automenta=
/netentionjs2">https://github.com/automenta/netentionjs2</a>=A0)</div>
sources could we bring in, as some form of &quot;Learner&#39;s Cooperative&=
quot; ?</div>
mailman/listinfo/commoning" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"font-family:arial,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:13px">https://listen.jpberlin.de/mailman/listinfo/common=
ing</a><br>
tion at lists.ourproject.org/">http://www.mail-archive.com/p2p-foundation@list=
/div>
v class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Joe Corneli <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:holtzermann17 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank=
left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">Part of the way through this video,<br>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfZ91Kj-4q2o</a> Anya Kamenetz says that<=
br>
&quot;people need to get paid&quot;. =A0I agree that this is typically true=
 - but<br>
the problem I have with the discussion is that it becomes &quot;either/or&q=
uot;.<br>
=A0Either you&#39;re in academia, or not; either you&#39;re getting paid, o=
r<br>
not.<br>
Well, in fact, I personally get paid (in academia) for work that&#39;s<br>
related to what I do as a non-academic or para-academic volunteer.<br>
For me, it&#39;s more of a &quot;both/and&quot;.<br>
Similarly, John, I agree that educational (and social) reform is<br>
important, but there are plenty of things going on outside of<br>
academia, in the current society, that are worthwhile -- even if they<br>
are not in themselves transformative. =A0These activities might appear<br>
to be a &quot;sideshow&quot; or &quot;distraction&quot; from the point of v=
iew someone in<br>
the currently-dominant institutions, but this is hardly a defining<br>
characteristic. =A0For one thing, who really knows, in advance, when one<br=

of these activities might become transformative?<br>
Thus, we could wage an all-out war fighting for student control within<br>
institutions, or students could just leave and do things under their<br>
own control elsewhere. =A0Or, again, some blend of the two.<br>
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM, John &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:restakis at gmail.=
com">restakis at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Dear Folks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; There is nothing inherently wrong with paying someone for a service th=
ey<br>
&gt; provide to you. Indeed, one of the absurdities of the present educatio=
nal<br>
&gt; set up is precisely that students have so little say in the educationa=
l<br>
&gt; services they pay for. There was a time when some universities were op=
erated<br>
&gt; as student-run educational co-operatives in which students subjected t=
he<br>
&gt; professors that they were going to hire to scrupulous cross examinatio=
n<br>
&gt; before approving their positions as educational service providers to t=
he<br>
&gt; student body. This was the case at the University of Bologna until qui=
te<br>
&gt; recently.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So, one angle of approach is for students to have far more control ove=
r the<br>
&gt; selection of faculty, over the design and evaluation of courses, and o=
f the<br>
&gt; running of the university itself =96 in partnership with the teachers<=
br>
&gt; themselves and other community stakeholders.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Education is a classic relational good, that is, a good that is co-pro=
duced<br>
&gt; by the provider and the recipient of the service together. =A0Educatio=
n<br>
&gt; doesn&#39;t happen unless both parties are fully engaged in the exchan=
ge of<br>
&gt; knowledge relations, and it is optimally produced when the educational=
&gt; relationship is one of reciprocity and equality. This is the reason wh=
y<br>
&gt; authentic education is not a commodity =96 it is an exchange of human<=
br>
&gt; relations and revolves around the question of the nature of knowledge<=
br>
&gt; production.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The creation of equality, of reciprocal educational relationships, and=
 the<br>
&gt; provision of control rights to students is the heart of how educationa=
l<br>
&gt; institutions need to be reformed. Unless this happens, everything else=
 is a<br>
&gt; sideshow and a distraction.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; John<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 13-12-16 4:49 AM, Joss Winn wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 16/12/2013 09:13, &quot;mp&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mp at aktivix.o=
rg">mp at aktivix.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 15/12/13 19:03, <a href=3D"mailto:anna at shsh.co.uk">anna at shsh.co.uk<=
/a> wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I certainly don&#39;t want to criticise the idea of a cooperative<br>
&gt; university and all the work you are doing at the SSC. However the<br>
&gt; fundamental distinction between students and teachers is that the<br>
&gt; former have to pay and the latter get paid.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Is that what they call capitalism? Social relations revolving around a=
&gt; commodity form, in this case &quot;education&quot; as the commodity? G=
iving<br>
&gt; structure to a hierarchy, where there are experts (controlling the mea=
ns<br>
&gt; of (knowledge) production) and followers (consuming the produced<br>
&gt; knowledge commodities, if they can afford it)?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Class society in a nutshell.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Yes, universities reproduce class society.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Students in the UK and elsewhere are continually being reconfigured in=
to a<br>
&gt; peculiar kind of consumer who co-produces themselves as &#39;human cap=
ital&#39; -<br>
&gt; an &#39;improved&#39; form of the labour-power commodity.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We&#39;ve been working on a critique and an affront to this for a few =
years<br>
&gt; now. You can read about &#39;Student as Producer&#39; here:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://studentasproducer.lincoln.ac.uk/" target=3D"_blank">=
http://studentasproducer.lincoln.ac.uk/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If this is of interest to you, I&#39;d suggest reading this book chapt=
er:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The student as producer: reinventing the student experience in higher<=
br>
&gt; education<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/1675/" target=3D"_blank">http:=
//eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/1675/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; and then more of Mike Neary&#39;s (cc&#39;d) later work to develop it:=
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 Student as producer: an institution<br>
&gt; of the common? [or how to recover<br>
&gt; communist/revolutionary science]<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ELiSS0403A_G=
uest_paper.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/20=
13/12/ELiSS0403A_Guest_paper.pdf</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Pedagogy of Excess<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Pedagogy-of-=
Excess-preprint" target=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2=
013/12/Pedagogy-of-Excess-preprint</a>.<br>
&gt; pdf<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 Student as Producer: A Pedagogy for<br>
&gt; the Avant-Garde; or, how do<br>
&gt; revolutionary teachers teach?<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/15-72-1-pb-1=
.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/15-7=
2-1-pb-1.pdf</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The Social Science Centre, Lincoln, take the ideas and the pedagogy of=
&gt; Student as Producer out of the university and, in one sense, is an att=
empt<br>
&gt; to develop it without the constraints of existing institutional forms.=
&gt; It&#39;s an experiment:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/news/an-experiment-in-free=
-co-operative-hi" target=3D"_blank">http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/news/a=
n-experiment-in-free-co-operative-hi</a><br>
&gt; gher-education<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As for co-operatives as a new model for higher education, I think it&#=
39;s<br>
&gt; worth pursuing this as a transitional model to a post-capitalist form =
of<br>
&gt; higher education institution. I&#39;ve been trying to think about &#39=
;academic<br>
&gt; labour&#39; and the university as a &#39;means of production&#39; and =
extending this<br>
&gt; idea to co-operation. I posted some thoughts here:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The association of free and equal producers<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/2013/06/the-association-of-free-and-equ=
al-producers/" target=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/2013/06/the-associatio=
n-of-free-and-equal-producers/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Notes towards a critique of =8CLabour Managed Firms=B9<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/2013/07/notes-towards-a-critique-of-lab=
our-managed-firm" target=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/2013/07/notes-towar=
ds-a-critique-of-labour-managed-firm</a><br>
&gt; s/<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What is =8Cacademic labour=B9?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://josswinn.org/2013/07/what-is-academic-labour/" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://josswinn.org/2013/07/what-is-academic-labour/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My friend, Richard Hall also writes about this stuff, too:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.richard-hall.org/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
richard-hall.org/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; All the best,<br>
&gt; Joss<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln=
, has<br>
&gt; established an international reputation based on high student satisfac=
tion,<br>
&gt; excellent graduate employment and world-class research.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential=
. If<br>
&gt; you have received this email in error please notify the sender immedia=
tely<br>
&gt; and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to anothe=
r<br>
&gt; person or take copies.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln=
 makes<br>
&gt; every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot guara=
ntee<br>
&gt; this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordanc=
e with<br>
&gt; its policies and English law. Further information can be found at:<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal" target=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.lincoln.ac.uk/legal</a>.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>