[P2P-F] Funding research on better alternatives to Gmail, Facebook, Dropbox etc... was: Internet under threat - can US Congress defend against Obama-Stasi state and Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Aug 15 17:26:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 09:27:25 AM -0600, Patrick Anderson wrote:
> Hi Marco and all,
>
> This is very good news to me.  I have been wanting to do a similar thing but
> have never gotten around to it.
>
> > Regardless of funding
>
> As strange as it sounds, I am very happy this is targeting software that runs
> on *shared* hardware.

Patrick,

1) I'm happy to see you acknowledge the relevance of this basic point
   in my proposal. The 1000000% purist approach of the FreedomBox
   etc... is a showstopper in my opinion. On one hand, doing things
   (only) in that way only helps people who didn't really need them,
   because they already had the skills to do as they please. On the
   other hand, it can be a waste of hardware, that is of limited,
   polluting physical resources.

2) I know it's a bit of an hassle, but please post this answer of
   yours also as a comment to my blog. The more proofs of interests
   readers see, the likeliest they are to "buy" the idea :-)

   Thanks,
   Marco
--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net