[P2P-F] Funding research on better alternatives to Gmail, Facebook, Dropbox etc... was: Internet under threat - can US Congress defend against Obama-Stasi state and Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Aug 15 13:54:24 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 23:57:54 PM +0200, Etienne zoupic Hayem wrote:
> Dear Marco,
>
> I find your proposal very interesting and as I'm using gmail, facebook, mac and
> advocating for an open world I feel like I need help...
>
> So yes, there is a need for me to switch.
> yes I'm looking for an all together package because coding, setting-up this
> stuff is not my job and I'm ready and will be happy to pay / donate for a
> solution that is not hosted/cracked/checked/spyed by my dear nsa friends.
>
> I believe I would'nt be the only one, and I'm sure there is a fair and clean
> service to provide to the commons.
>
> Crowdfunding it or crowd-building it could also be a way to make things move
> quicker and gather forces for this beautiful project or asking for a quick "how
> many people would be interested in such a service" could be a start.
>
> what do you think?
>
> Ciao,
> Etienne

Etienne,

as I promised, here is a complete answer:

following **several** positive feedbacks and expressions of interest on my
original proposal to replace digital walled gardens with properly
packaged/integrated existing Free Software, here is a crowdfunding
proposal on the same topic:

http://stop.zona-m.net/2013/08/call-to-fund-research-on-an-easy-and-complete-alternative-to-gmail-facebook-etc/

Regardless of funding, which is obviously welcome, the first help you
(Etienne) could give is to repost your whole email of July 31st as a
comment to this post of mine. The more evidence I can provide *there*
that there *IS* interest from non-geek end-users, the easier it will
be to get this started!

any further feedback and help to spread the word from everybody is very welcome, of course.

Michel, let me know off list if/when you want to republish that post and/or its companion one:

http://stop.zona-m.net/2013/08/call-to-fund-research-on-an-easy-and-complete-alternative-to-gmail-facebook-etc/

on the p2p foundation blog.

Marco Fioretti

--