[P2P-F] Fwd: A Resilient Business Must Do This First

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Apr 24 09:05:43 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Robb (Resilient Communities) <admin at resilientcommunities.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Subject: A Resilient Business Must Do This First
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

    Having problems viewing this email? View this post on our
website<https://cs962.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/5811/489c0db804d67f69/1988046/fa1ff43d49124c05>
.
     [image: printlogo-1329425488189.jpeg]
       How Do You Build a Resilient Business? Build a Community First
   By John Robb

Here's a letter for anybody that is interesting in starting a local
business or running a business from home that sells products online.

_________

I interviewed a couple of successful entrepreneurs last week on the
Resilient Roundtable.

They are doing so well and having such a good time with their new business
that they recently quit their "day jobs."

That makes them very lucky.  They get to spend their productive hours on
creative, innovative, and challenging work they can enjoy, locally.

Not only that, they can support themselves financially doing it.

What made them successful?

It's a feature we are going to see again and again in successful
businesses.  It's a feature that is going to make them resilient.

They built a small, but growing, community of customers and fans
*before*they sold their first product
*.*

[image: 10000Fans]<https://cs962.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/9292/2d7e2301ea2188a0/1988046/fa1ff43d49124c05>

A community of people that are enthusiastic about what they build.

A community that supported them when they launched and is now supporting
them as they build out the business.

*A Resilient Business *

Here's what makes this both a revolutionary and resilient improvement to
running a small business.

Building a community first allowed them to avoid/bypass/route-around:

   - *financial middlemen*, making it much more likely for them to retain
   ownership of the business long term.
   - *retail middlemen*, which allowed them to cut their prices in half.
   - *marketing middlemen*, this reduced their expenses during launch and
   has allowed them to grow organically.

 As you can see, a community allows for a leaner cost-structure - and the
avoidance of debt.

This will help the business survive long term and makes it easier to
generate the income needed to support the founders.

Not only that, but if these entrepreneurs are honest and treat their
community well, they will support their endeavors for decades to come.

Mastering the art of building a community of supporters is quickly becoming
the defining feature of a resilient entrepreneur.

In fact, in a world awash with too many ideas, it's likely the key
attribute.

Yours,

JOHN ROBB

[image: JR Small]<https://cs962.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/9294/cbdb35267cd51469/1988046/fa1ff43d49124c05>

PS:  Why is this important?    The old economy isn't delivering the goods.
 We are poorer today than we were *in 1980*.   Worse, the old economy is
shrinking.  The percentage of people in the workforce is smaller today than
it was in 1984.  On a personal level, most of us are working longer hours,
for less pay, in jobs we don't like.  If we have a family, we can't even
spend the time with our kids that we should.   So, as risky or difficult
the approach I describe above sounds, the old approach looks riskier...

PPS:  If you are running a small business, keep it small, lean and nimble.
 Don't grow beyond what is fun.   The critical thing is to stay viable over
the long term, not to grow as big as possible.

       For your convenience, John Robb will deliver his articles straight
to your inbox each time a post is made! I look forward to the ongoing
conversation and you're always welcome to post your comments at
www.resilientcommunities.com<https://cs962.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/5813/031e0b62f30ad32c/1988046/fa1ff43d49124c05>.

  If you no longer wish to receive our emails, click the link below:
  Resilient Community, LLC 14405 W Colfax Ave #309 Lakewood, Colorado 80401
United States

<https://crm.infusionsoft.com/go/infs/jschneider/html>

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/