[P2P-F] crowd sourced permaculture tools and database ?

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:58:10 CET 2012

Does anyone know of a tool
to collaboratively *map synergies between plants+animals,*
*and add various data on the plants and their synnergies,*
at various levels ( top soil up till trees ) ?

ideally, a ( distributed ? ) internet based platform and software tool,
to be used from a internet browser,
with a open and free license on the data and software used, much like
wikipedia.

When searching via
google<https://www.google.be/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=sea&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ei=VGRrT7HeCora8APjl5HRBg&ved=0CC4QBSgA&q=semantic+web+crowdsourced+permaculture+garden+design&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab95502c529bbd4a&ix=sea&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=605>
,
I find the following person, who has a similar approach, and attempts to
converge interest for project development :

http://www.foodandtechconnect.com/site/2011/04/20/polyculturetech-part-i-the-permaculture-information-web-growing-guilds/

excerpt :

*"what would a design tool for curating meaningful ecological relationships
look like?*

*A decade ago, inspired by this question, I conceived of a web-based
application for designing Permaculture guilds.  I solicited a team of
developers, secured funding, and began project managing the development of
the application, which was dubbed (now embarrassingly) the Permaculture
Information Web.  And thus were planted the seeds of awesomeness.  But in
time, I meandered off to grad school, funding dried up, and the project has
since been cryogenically frozen.  That is, until there’s interest in
unfreezing it.*

*In the interest of a potential resuscitation, here’s the vision.*

*My intention for the application is to enable gardeners and farmers, rural
and urban, to design and grow Permaculture guilds.  The interface of the
application would be similar to those of concept-mapping tools, which allow
users to explicitly define and interact with relationships between
components.  Although it’s not quite a design app, I’m thinking in terms of
Thinkmap’s Visual Thesaurus <http://www.visualthesaurus.com/>, an online,
interactive thesaurus.  When word is entered, say network, it becomes
orbited by its synonyms, which are closer or farther away from the original
word based on how close or far away they are in meaning.  When one of the
synonyms is clicked, it too becomes orbited by its synonyms, and so on,
enabling an exploration of language as a complex web of interrelated
meanings."*