[P2P-F] Fw: A million strong.

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 10:44:57 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Will Bates - 350.org <organizers at 350.org>
To: robert searle <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, 31 May 2012, 19:38
Subject: A million strong.

Dear friends,
This is huge.
Two weeks ago we joined a diverse coalition to launch an all-out offensive to end fossil fuel subsidies, and we weren't quite sure how it would turn out. Well, we've currently got 958,422 signatures on our combined global petition -- almost a million people strong!
Will you help us get to a million by the end of the week?  Sign on here: www.350.org/rio
Once we get a million signatures, we'll move on to phase two: a surround-sound campaign to put the pressure on world leaders at the G20 Summit in Mexico and at the "Rio+20 Earth Summit" coming up in Brazil.
We'll be honest: we won't win the campaign to end fossil fuel subsidies with a petition alone -- and we won't be able to wrap this up by the end of the Rio Earth Summit. But being a million strong is a powerful starting point, and our massive numbers will send an unignorable message to world leaders.
The truth is that ending these subsidies will take an ongoing and escalating campaign -- which is why we're digging deep on multiple fronts. As I type this, 350.org staff and volunteers are putting together a cutting-edge social media plan, planning a series of hard-hitting actions in countries around the world, and working on game-changing research that will expose just how massive the issue of subsidies is.
Our work on subsidies will continue in the weeks and months ahead -- but with the global summits in Mexico and Rio happening in just a few weeks, we have a unique moment to shine a light on a topic that all too often gets hidden and ignored. And we can't ignore it any longer -- the issue of subsidies is just too important. New research shows that getting rid of fossil fuel subsidies would lead to massive reductions in the emissions that are super-heating our planet -- and could help level the economic playing field and trigger a clean energy revolution around the world.
One more thing: we’re saving June 18 for something special. It'll be the day when we’ll deliver our collective petition to world leaders, but also a day where we’ll try something a bit different -- and a day to take our message to the halls of power in a brand new way.
We'll keep you posted on the next steps, but for now please help us reach the 1 million mark before the week is up: www.350.org/rio.
Onwards,
Will Bates for the 350.org Team

Articles and Info
Phasing out fossil fuel subsidies 'could provide half of global carbon target' |The Guardian go.350.org/M2kWyg

EndFossilFuelSubsidies.org is a project of 350350.org, a global network dedicated to solving the climate crisis. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for email alerts. You can help power our work by getting involved locally, sharing your story, and donating here.
To stop receiving emails from 350.org, click here.