[P2P-F] Programming the Global Brain - MIT - Pdf - and related ideas from my experience

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at dadamac.net
Sun Jul 8 13:50:25 CEST 2012

I have just been reading Programming the Global Brain - MIT - Pdf  -
http://cci.mit.edu/publications/CCIwp2011-04.pdf (more details below).

In my mind it connects with various other things - no time to explain the
connections in depth - but perhaps worth noting them:

   - Gary Alexande <http://www.dadamac.net/network/gary-alexander>r - and
   his book  eGaia, Growing a peaceful sustainable Earth through
   communications <http://www.earthconnected.net/earthconnected/eGaia.html>
   - Personal imaginations of a future related to more of a
   thinking-together life style The Future we Got - Earth Date Zero Plus
   Twenty<http://www.appropedia.org/The_Future_We_Got%E2%80%93Earth_Date_Zero_Plus_Twenty_-_Pamela_Mclean>
   - included in - The Future we
Deserve<http://pediapress.com/books/show/ee265024890e40cbe1f8244087e753/>

   - Extensive work by David Pinto related to effective engagement,
   alignment and confluence
   - Practical work I am doing with Nikki Fishman - relates to the idea of
   being "stronger together" in various situations, especially in the changing
   world of work - theory not visible yet but the practical actuality we are
   working on starting to show at - Collage-network; Age of
Collaboration<http://collage-network.co.uk/>
   - Aspects of collaboration and issues of the interface between human
   (analogue) approaches and computer (digital) ones
   - Collaborataion challenges, particularly across these two types: 1 -
   people who want to "know what they are going to do" before they do it so
   they can plan to do it effectively, 2 - people who want to "start doing it
   before they plan" so they can let what they are going to do emerge more
   freely and appropriately - Collaboration challenges - and lessons from
   Yehudi Menuhin and Stephane Grappelli
<http://dadamac.posterous.com/collaboration-challenges-and-lessons-from-yeh>

   - Personal analysis of how things are now  -  "The Invisible
Revolution"<http://www.appropedia.org/User:Dougald/NPT1PamelaMcLean>
   - included in - Despatches from the Invisible Revolution
<http://pediapress.com/books/show/07ebb0bdddb0412af5bfc25bc35d2a/>

I would love to be part of some of the collaborative active thinking around
these issues. How do we bring together the best of "creative human-being
thinking and problem solving" with the best of "digital, programmed,
information processing and problem solving". As we human intelligence and
artificial intelligence draw closer together will it be a "marriage made in
heaven or a marriage made in hell" ....  and what of the character of our
progeny?
Thanks to everyone along the way who has passed on the Programming the
Global Brain link so that I have had the opportunity to read it.
(Dante-Gabryell
Monson, Francis H, Global Brain Discussion <gbrain at listserv.vub.ac.be>,
p2p-foundation <p2p-foundation at lists.ourproject.org>)
 <http://cci.mit.edu/publications/CCIwp2011-04.pdf>
Programming the Global Brain - MIT - Pdf  -
http://cci.mit.edu/publications/CCIwp2011-04.pdf

A quote from the recent paper named "Programming the Global Brain"

As the scale, scope, and connectivity of these human computer networks
increase, we believe it will become increasingly useful to view all the
people and computers on our planet as constituting a kind of "global brain."
conclusion - excerpt :
*
*
*"A Call to Arms :*
*
*
*We have attempted to identify, in this short article, some of the key
challenges, opportunities, and strategies *
*involved in programming the emerging global brain.  Learning to do this
well is, perhaps, even more urgent *
*than many people realize.  Our world is faced with both existential
threats of unprecedented seriousness *
*(such as the environment) and huge opportunities (such as for scientific
and social progress).  We believe *
*that our ability to face the threats and opportunities of the coming
century will be profoundly affected by *
*how well, and soon, we can master the art of programming our planet’s
emerging global brain."*

*Programming the Global Brain*
*Abraham Bernstein,*
*Mark Klein,*
*and Thomas W. Malone*
*   *
*MIT Center for Collective Intelligence*
*MIT Center for Collective Intelligence Working Paper No. 2011-04*
*To appear in the Communications of the ACM May 2012, Vol. 55, Issue 5*
*November 2011*
*MIT Center for Collective Intelligence*
*Massachusetts Institute of Technology*
*http://cci.mit.edu* <http://cci.mit.edu>