[P2P-F] Fw: Good news.

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 11:11:01 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Bill McKibben - 350.org <organizers at 350.org>
To: robert searle <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, 19 April 2012, 19:51
Subject: Good news.

Dear friends,
Good news this time.
At some point every one of us at 350 has thought to ourselves a little despairingly: is the world ever going to catch on to climate change? Today is one of those days when it feels like it just might happen.
A story on the front page of yesterday’s New York Times described a new poll -- Americans in record numbers are understanding that the planet is warming because they’re seeing the “freaky” weather that comes with climate change.
And the story ends by describing the next step in this process: May 5, the giant Connect the Dots day that people are joining all around the globe: www.ClimateDots.org
When the zeitgeist conspires to help our efforts, we need to make the most of it. Two weeks is plenty of time to organize a beautiful photo for May 5, one that will help spread this idea. Are you in a place where flood and rain have caused havoc? Ten people with umbrellas can make a memorable “climate dot” for all the world to see. You’ll think of something appropriate for your place -- and you can find lots of examples and ideas here.
This movement is growing quickly, and with not a moment to spare -- new data from scientists like Jim Hansen at NASA shows that our carbon emissions have already made extreme weather many times more likely. We can’t take back the carbon we’ve already poured into the atmosphere, but if we work together hard and fast then we can keep it from getting steadily worse.
When you’re on the front page of the Times it’s a sign that the message is starting to get through -- but only one American in 300 reads that newspaper. Now it’s up to all of us to make sure that everyone around the world gets the message, and Connect the Dots day on 5/5 is our best chance to do that. Please join us.
Onwards,
Bill McKibben for 350.org
P.S. It is key to remember that these photos from May 5 are not just for their effect on that day. We need a bank of images showing the human face of global warming -- pictures we’ll use for the hard and direct political work of the next few years. If people don’t know there’s a problem, they won’t try to solve it. So let’s show them on 5/5. Here's a heartbreaking example, from some local activists in Texas in the USA:

ARTICLES & INFO
	* Poll: Americans are Connecting the Dots (New York Times Article) | go.350.org/IyR9Lr
	* March Heat Records Crush Cold Records by Over 35 To 1, Scientists Say Global Warming Loaded The Dice | ThinkProgress go.350.org/HRdwLb

350.org is building a global movement to solve the climate crisis. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for email alerts. You can help power our work by getting involved locally and donating here. What is 350? Go to our website to learn about the science behind the movement.
To stop receiving emails from 350.org, click here.