[P2P-F] Why we can afford Climate Change...

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 11:15:03 CEST 2011

From: "ideasinc at ee.net" <ideasinc at ee.net>
Sent: Wednesday, 21 September 2011, 15:20
Subject: Re: [P2P-F] Why we can afford Climate Change...

Robert et al,
    while Ann Pettifor is generally correct about how central banking works,
she is wrong or omits a several important details. The privatized version
of central banking under a fiat sovereign currency has only sort of served
our collective and common needs and it is actually not very functional at
all. As she describes it we have a "credit" based system. The use of the
word "credit" is often used to mask the reality that "credit" is debt by
another name.

    She also omits entirely describing the major difference between credit
(debt) based money issued by a privatized banking system which issues
credit as compared to the effects of currency issued debt-free by a
sovereign government in the interest of sustaining and developing
societal/sovereign infra-structure. Under the privatized issuance of debt
based currency the privatized monetary system accumulates both the
interest attached to currency as a credit and it makes back the entire
principle as well. Adding together the compounded interest and the
principle of the debt (aka credit). This makes the related debt to be
HUGE!!! To provide this free rent on the franchise granted to privatized
central banking, other than related overhead costs of operating a private
bank and central banking system, those who sign onto the credit/debt
issuance of currency units have to go out an essentially strip the economy
and the commons of resources which by the fractional reserve and
leveraging ends up being many times the original debt/credit. When a local
or central government uses bonds to credit that currency it is acquiring
debt to private investors including the banking issues this the related
debt/credit. This result is very, very different under a sovereign, fiat,
asset based currency process.

    She is quite right about the feeding credits into the demand side of the
economic ledger IS how saving are established for the general population.
Having the sovereign government go into credit/debt to develop
infra-structure needs, is poor strategy compared to currency issued on a
debt free basis. Credit issued as loans either to the central sovereign
government or to corporations and private individuals (think "mortgages"
as a contractual agreement of debt/credit. If currency is put into
circulation on a debt-free basis by the sovereign government, the the
private investors, including banks will not acquire the huge returns
achieved for private interests by way of the debt basis of the issuance of
currency. She does not distinguish her "supply-side" aka consumer demand
side of the economy and supply side to the benefit of the privatized
banking systems. This will make her presentation seems very much like
"supply-side" economics, in service to plutocracy. This lack of
distinction is problematic in the details of how the issuance of currency
can serve the interests of the commons in many ways.

    Trusting banks to invest in the de-carbonization of our industrial
cultures, under the private credit/debt basis of issuance, will cause
those investments to go where the return on that investment will be
highest. If a high private return on the "investment" is somehow
guaranteed by the government, then the debt load will be higher, compared
to what it would be under a process where the sovereign government acts as
the primary steward of the commons and the currency credits are issued
debt free.

    It is this sort of poorly informed jumble packaged along with very
attractive objectives, ends up adding to the net public confusion of how
monetary systems and a functional approach to fiscal policy could operate
in the interests of the commons and toward sustainability.

    Ask questions here, if you don't understand some of these details. I will
be happy to respond. The bottom line issue is that the commons and
sustainability will be vastly better served by a fiat, asset based(aka
debt/credit free) currency issued by a sovereign government. At least she
has some content that points in the right direction, but then she also has
significant content that ends being poorly informed and even likely to
have a major net negative impact. There also seems to be no implied or
actual analysis of how the globalized,centralized, privatized banking
conventions have produced the current melt down. I half expected her to
also advocate for further deregulation of the privatized currency commons.

as we go, Tadit Anderson

Thank you Taditt. I do not think Ann Pettifor is as well informed as you but her basic point is very important. Moreover, I have not fully read your comments properly...maybe later when I have the time. RS