[P2P-F] What does this say about the Economics Profession?

ideasinc at ee.net ideasinc at ee.net
Sat Sep 17 16:11:25 CEST 2011

Well Robert, while what you've pointed out is true, sideways it also
points to the variety of post-Keynesian economists who qualify their
perspective/body of theory as functional fiscal economics, that the
economics is held responsible for the effects/outcomes of its assumptions
and methodologies.

The positivist varieties are still operating as if it is a bus that we are
all on, and yet the assumptions are that the bus has no controls or
limiting factors though magically the same all too familiar results and
re-distribution keep producing similar outcomes.

Lord Greenspan's primary qualification was that he was an acolyte to Ayn
Rand and he was a political lackey. Because monetary issues have been
largely abandoned by conventional economism, this zone has also become a
collecting place for quacks and the errantly self taught well outside a
scientific discourse.

Of course substantive scientific discourse within conventional economics
has also been excluded with prejudice. It makes for a very messy process
on the way to sort through what is possible as a viable alternative. Given
the cultivated high level of economic illiteracy of the public, there is
little voice in sorting toward a more benign alternative. It speaks as
much about the public level of literacy as it does about the lack of an
authentic scientific and economic discourse.

Tadit