[P2P-F] important advance in network theory approaches

Paul B. Hartzog PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
Sat Sep 17 04:02:19 CEST 2011

For Brownian ( and other ) models of pedestrian ( and other) traffic
flows Dirk Helbing is key.
Early work is around 1998.

A Mathematical Model for the Behavior of Pedestrians
Helbing
at arxiv.org, 18 May 1998

Models for Pedestrian Behavior
Helbing
at arxiv.org, 13 May 1998

Self-Organization Phenomena in Pedestrian Crowds
Dirk Helbing and Peter Molnár, "Self-Organization
Phenomena in Pedestrian Crowds," in Self-Organization of Complex
Structures: From Individual to
Collective Dynamics, ed. F Schweitzer (London: Gordon and Breach, 1997).
at arxiv.org, 11 Jun 1998

Social force model for pedestrian dynamics
Dirk Helbing and Peter Molnar
at arxiv.org, 20 May 1998

"Helbing’s (1992) mathematical model of the flow of pedestrians going
into different directions, and thus unintentionally hindering each
other’s movements, in the same way that molecules in a fluid collide
with other molecules, thus producing physical friction."
Helbing D. (1992) A Fluid Dynamic Model for the Movement of
Pedestrians, Complex Systems 6,
391-415

"the behavioral force model of pedestrian motion"
Self-organizing pedestrian movement
Helbing, Molnar, Farkas, Bolay
Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 2001, volume 28, pages 361 ^ 383

“realistic traffic dynamics from which analysts using TRANSIMS
Fire escape agent-based simulation (live simulation available at
www.helbing.org”
from
Helbing, D., Farkas, I. & Vicsek, T. (2000) Nature (London) 407, 487– 490.
mentioned in
Agent-based modeling: Methods and techniques for
simulating human systems
Eric Bonabeau
7280 –7287 | PNAS | May 14, 2002 | vol. 99 | suppl. 3
www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.082080899

Illes Farkas, Dirk Helbing, and Tamas Vicsek, "Crowd Behaves as Excitable Media
During Mexican Wave," Nature 2002,

Also

Mark Granovetter, " Threshold Models of Collective Behavior,"
American Journal of Sociology 83, no. 6 ( 1978),

Dussutour, A., Fourcassie´, V., Helbing, D., & Deneubourg, J.-L.
(2004). Optimal traffic organization in ants
under crowded conditions. Nature, 428(6978), 70 – 73.

Eric Bonabeau, Marco Dorigo, and Guy Theraulaz, Swarm Intelligence : From
Natural to Artificial Systems (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999),

Steven H. Strogatz, Sync : The
Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order, 1st ed. (New York: Theia, 2003).

Self-Assembling of Networks in an Agent-Based Model
Frank Schweitzer
Benno Tilch
re: Brownian agents vis a vis “internal degrees of freedom”
at arxiv.org, 11 Dec 2002

hope that helps.
it helped me :-)
-p

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> try this https://www.zotero.org/groups/forwardfoundation/items/collectionKey/X4UGSC2Q
>

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Michel Bauwens
> <michel at p2pfoundation.net> wrote:
>> any biblio for guidance?
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can imagine. I think if you are interested in network theory, it is
>>> definitely worth knowing the complex systems thinkers from throughout
>>> the 1980's to present (if you do not already). Lots of great useful
>>> work there.

>>> --
>>> --
>>> Sam Rose
>>> Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
>>> Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
>>> email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
>>> http://hollymeadcapital.com
>>> http://p2pfoundation.net
>>> http://futureforwardinstitute.com
>>> http://socialmediaclassroom.com
>>>
>>> "The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
>>> ambition." - Carl Sagan

>> --
>> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net
>>
>> Connect: http://p2pfoundation.ning.com;

> Sam Rose
> Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
> Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
> email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
> http://hollymeadcapital.com
> http://p2pfoundation.net
> http://futureforwardinstitute.com
> http://socialmediaclassroom.com
>
> "The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
> ambition." - Carl Sagan

http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
                 --Muriel Rukeyser

Perceive differently, then you will act differently.
                 --Paul B. Hartzog