[P2P-F] Ecological and economic limits and overshoot

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 16:07:24 CEST 2011

Michel, yes I thought 2030 was plausible. (stop reading this now if
you are easily depressed). Now, I think we could see problems in even
*less* time than that. We could see the West Antarctic Ice Sheet
suddenly slide into the ocean, which would raise sea levels very
quickly. Or, we could see as little as a decade long release of
giga-tons of methane gas from the ocean floor. 55 million years ago,
just such an event happened, according to paleoclimatologists, and it
caused a temperature spike of 8 degrees celsius, killing 2/3 of ocean
species. Ice ages also show evidence of rapid climate shift (even as
little as 3 years).

On top of that, we can see that we are now down to about 10% of world
fisheries http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html
,

10% of rainforests. (next year we are projected to cross the threshold
of 10% of rainforests and 50% of species that some believe rainforest
ecologies can bounce back from on their own
http://www.rainforests.net/variables.htm )

And, we are using 1 and one half of the total capacity of the earth to
replenish itself! We have *already* exceeded the limits of growth.
http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/world_footprint/

Plus, I think it is clear that on a worldwide bio-psyhco-social level,
we are already seeing many areas slide into control paradigms (most
remarkably right here in the West), while we're also seeing people
coordinate to topple old control regimes, or broken bureaucracies.

What this all means to me is that we are already in serious, serious
trouble. Yet, as we discussed in work in Future Forward Institute, and
as we've explored here in P2P Foundation for a number of years, there
is also plenty that is emerging as adaptation to these changes

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com