[P2P-F] Automenta vs "The World Game" + Networks of Open Reciprocal Production

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Sep 11 14:29:42 CEST 2011

Dear Eric,

I'm excerpting your fascinating discussion here below on our blog on the
20th, but it is not clear to me what netention is and a google search
delivers a few competing, or at least not completely similar, pointers,

would be nice if I could point to what you guys mean when using netention,

Open Reciprocal Production, Resource-based economics and the World
Game<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?p=19390>
Tags: [empty]
[image: photo of Michel Bauwens]
Michel Bauwens
20th September 2011

*Eric Hunting* dives into the history of resource-based economics, in an
online email to Dante Monson:

*“The idea of netention systems, and especially the extension of that into
that Global Survival System, seems a very promising and ambitious attempt to
reduce to software the principles of Buckminster Fuller’s World Game and
Jacque Fresco’s Cybernation. *

*This notion has emerged a lot in contemporary Singular/Post-Singularity
science fiction. The root concept is the elimination of financial paradigms
in economic systems in favor of a demand-driven resource-based economics
that is rooted in productivity and functional need and desire rather than a
simplistic model of cost vrs. price. In the case of The World Game, Fuller
was proposing a kind of mutualist gaming model; a game of poker where
everybody wins. He developed this originally as an educational platform for
global systems management and once proposed a university based on it. His
Biosphere geodesic sphere built as the American Pavilion exhibit in Montreal
for the ’67 World’s Fair was actually intended to be a World Game arena
where the principles of The World Game would be explained and demonstrated
in a live televised exposition. But no one in American government could even
remotely grasp such an alien concept as resource based economics, and so The
World Game was dropped from the expo proposal.*

*Fresco re-imagined The World Game in the context of a kind of expert system
software of massive scale. Fuller -in his 1950-60s context, imagined the
role of computers in The World Game as data loggers, gathering a series of
digital counters of world statistics. Early in the history of the Web there
was an attempt to put The World Game on-line and the start of the project
was a set of live digital counters for statistics about the world that were
intended to be become ‘widgets’ people could ad to their own web sites. The
project self-destructed because, shortly after Fuller’s death, idiots at the
Buckminster Fuller Institute sold rights to all software based versions of
The World Game to a fledging company seeking to make a touring show of it
for schools. Fresco, aware of the early work in artificial intelligence,
imagined a more autonomous system where a vast network of data gathering
would feed global information to a massive expert system running on a
central supercomputer whose adaptive rulebase would crafted by committees of
scientists and constantly self-optimized in application on real world info
and people’s needs. *

*Dubbed Cybernation, this system would treat human demand for goods as the
‘currency’ in a resource distribution management that learns to anticipate
and balance human and environmental needs and generates a plan for
production and resource communication. Eventually it would be capable of
managing and manufacturing by itself as production and transportation became
increasingly networked and automated. Still, this is a somewhat
anachronistic notion based on the 60′s era idea of centralized data
processing on massive supercomputers tended to by a systems management
priesthood trusted to employ scientific reason to the rulebase. Fresco may
be right in considering science more rational than politics but he is too
trusting of the intentions of scientists as a community. It’s by no means
monolithic and exclusively rational. *

*Curiously, the concept of Cybernation is the core of Fresco’s vision of a
Post-Industrial economy but probably fewer than 10% of the members of The
Venus Project or the recent Zeitgeist fandom have any notion of what this is
exactly or how it would work or be created.*

*In recent years a variety of science fiction writers have adopted the
notion of cashless future cultures where social networking evolves into a
replacement for financial and market systems. The basic idea is that a
social credit system develops where one’s situation in the society –
basically a dynamic metric of social worth based on accumulating reputation-
determines one’s access to goods and resources above a dynamic common
baseline defining the common reasonable standard of living. This is intended
not to enable access to luxuries but as some sort of prize but rather to
justify the access to goods and resources for individual and group projects
and activities deemed of some value to the larger society. Like Fresco’s
Cybernation, the suggestion here is of total automation and total resource
awareness in an increasingly intelligent software platform. But instead of a
system hosted on some old fashioned central computer, this takes the form of
a network of distributed systems which, through social networks, permeate
the fabric of people’s lives as well as the fabric of resource communication
and planetary environmental sensing. So the result isn’t so much a single
computer program as it is an Internet of Things with a very sophisticated
but passive artificial intelligence. A neural network for the civilization.*

*In my writings on this subject, particularly with
P2P<http://p2pfoundation.net/ContactCon?title=Special%3ASearch&redirs=0&search=%22Eric+Hunting%22&fulltext=Search&ns0=1>and
in The Millennial Project 2.0, I
talk about the establishment of networks of Open Reciprocal Production
originating at a community level, running in parallel to old market systems
at first, and merging into a progressively larger and eventually global
network. The idea is of the technologies of independent manufacturing
enabling and leveraging proclivity-inspired production and productivity on a
model akin to publicly accessed web servers and Open Software projects which
employ the Internet as a medium of demand-currency communication. This
derives from P.M.’s notion of open production within the discrete community
context. Because planned communities are hard to pull-off in a world
dominated by the existing market hegemonies (tending to be marginalized and
hampered in standard of living by being ostracized from urban/suburban areas
and pushed to the edge of wilderness -particularly in the US), I’ve taken
this to a kind of ‘insurgent virtual community’ where an Internet of Things
can be established as a location-independent participatory infrastructure
for individual life support that can supplement and whittle-away at market
systems. *

*Instead of an illegal Black Market, an insurgent Anti-Market or
Alter-Market. One of the functions of the CIC concept in TMP2 is as a
corporate ‘firewall’ between the outside market and the alternative economy
within the collective communities of TMP which leverages the power of
automated industrial scale exploitation of renewables -solar energy through
OTEC and food through polyspecies mariculture- as a means to support its
subsistence in its nascent stages of development. Basically, you’re creating
-in the TMP context- this massive multinational corporation that looks to
the outside world like any other giant corporation producing energy, food,
and many other things but, within its communities and among its
resident-shareholders, is cultivating an alter-economy as a social
convenience.*

*I find this Netention concept very interesting because this looks like a
very deliberate attempt to create the kind of networked passive AI that
would be the basis of this neural network of a civilization independent of
any established production infrastructure. At some point that must be
implemented, but here we’re seeing an attempt at a Semantic Web of Living
developing in the social networking context that could become a foundation
for a production/resource oriented Internet of Things, which in turn becomes
the foundation of an Open Reciprocal Production network. And hence we would
get that passive intelligent wholesale management of resources and
production linked to the awareness of human beings as individuals. It’s sort
of like having a globe-spanning Jeeves -a genius butler- integrated
into/distributed throughout the built habitat that would obsolesce the
contrivances of economics by its total passive awareness of needs, wants,
and sustainable limitations and self-optimizing predictive abilities. It’s a
breathtaking possibility.”*