[P2P-F] Faith in the 99 %, What drives Occupy Wall Street?

ideasinc at ee.net ideasinc at ee.net
Thu Oct 20 22:59:05 CEST 2011

Faith in the 99 percent: What drives Occupy Wall Street? by Starhawk

“We are the 99 percent!” The chant thunders through the streets, from Wall
Street in New York City, where the Occupy movement began, to K Street in
Washington, where high-paid lobbyists influence government, to streets in
cities and small towns all across the nation. In hundreds of Occupations,
ordinary people have been moved to fill parks and streets and squares with
signs, tents, impromptu soup kitchens, intense conversations and lengthy
meetings.

What’s going on? Pundits splutter about the movement’s lack of ‘demands’
and coherent messaging, but sound bites and 10-point programs arise from
central committees and top-down hierarchies. The Occupy movement
demonstrates a very different model of organizing: emergent,
decentralized, without a command and control structure.

While I have not had the chance to go to Wall Street, I’ve been to four
different Occupy sites in the last two weeks, two in Washington DC, one in
San Francisco where I live, and one across the Bay in Oakland. There are
at least five others within a two-hour drive from my home, and more
springing up each day. Oakland was inspiring-like a small village with a
food tent, a medical tent, a library, a free school, and a built-in
ampitheater in front of City Hall. Some others have looked more like
homeless encampments. But all share a common heart, a revulsion against an
economy and a politics that increasingly say, “You don’t count, except as
something to exploit. Your voice is drowned out by money, your labor is
expendable, your needs must be sacrificed to the gods of profit.”

At its essence, the message of the Occupations is simply this:

“Here in the face of power we will sit and create a new society, in which
you do count. Your voice carries weight, your contributions have value,
whoever you may be. We care for one another, and we say that love and care
are the true foundations for the society we want to live in. We’ll stand
with the poor and sleep with the homeless if that’s what it takes to get
justice. We’ll build a new world.”

The Occupy movement is not overtly religious, like the Tea Party. The 99
percent includes people of all religious faiths, and people who have none.
But I believe its core message and ethic is profoundly spiritual, even
prophetic.

Religion at its core calls us to charity, community, and witness. In part,
our disgust with the system as it is stems from its violation of some of
our most basic values. We are taught that a good person does good to
others and offers service to the community. Yet we see the system
rewarding the rapacious while dismissing the claims of those who devote
their lives to nursing the sick, teaching the young, growing our food,
building our homes, fighting our fires, or producing those things we truly
need.

People come to the Occupations because they cannot rest silent in the face
of so much that is just plain wrong. The Occupations give a framework for
the protests that call the greedy and powerful to account. And they
challeng us to create an alternative.

Disgusted with the corruption and ineffectiveness of government, we go
back to the most basic roots of democracy-people sitting together in the
public square, talking and making decisions. Of course, democracy is messy
and frustrating. When people express their opinions, they don’t all agree.
The movement confronts the basic questions of how people can act together.
How does direct democracy scale up? We want to hear everyone’s voice, but
when we gather in large numbers, how long will that take, and how do we do
it without a sound system? Maybe we use the “people’s mike”-where the
nearby crowd repeats the words of each speaker, and waves of echoers carry
the message back. That creates a great sense of unity, but it takes even
longer!

What do we do when needs clash-do we favor the smokers or the non-smokers,
the drummers or the sleepers? How do we make alliance with people so
broken by life that they are not very capable of listening to others or
taking into account other peoples’ needs? Within the broad range of the 99
percent, there are people with whom I agree and others whose beliefs and
opinions I find frankly appalling. How do we come together on common
ground?

None of these are easy problems to solve. I’ve sat through interminable
and frustrating meetings. But I’ve also had moments of profound
inspiration and grace. I hug the smiling man at Occupy Oakland who tells
me, “There’s a whole lot of healing going on here.” I tear up as a young
woman with a beautiful voice sings, “We shall not be moved” to honor an
earlier struggle for Civil Rights. I beam at the calm, shy drifter who
steps up to facilitate a big meeting and lets his innate intelligence
shine.

What a magnificent experiment! How amazing, how exciting that in this
world of increasing cynicism and alienation, thousand of people are moved
to call to account the greedy and powerful and reinvent democracy in the
public square!

The Occupy movement renews my faith in the human spirit, in our
creativity, our craving for justice, our determination to root our world
in love. So come on down! You are important. Your voice counts. You have a
unique contribution to make. We are all the 99 percent.

Find your nearest occupation at:

http://www.occupytogether.org/

Follow Starhawk’s continuing adventures at:

http://starhawksblog.org/