[P2P-F] Contributing to p2p

sindikat sindikat at mail36.net
Sat Oct 15 17:49:40 CEST 2011

Hi all!

I'm a strong supporter of free software and p2p technologies, however not
too good in technical aspect. I have around 200$ and want to buy a VPS to
setup several things i always wanted, but before doing it i want your
advice.

First of all i want to setup my own IMAP/SMTP server to have all my mail in
one place (mail from other addresses will be forwarded to it). Then maybe
ownCloud to store and synchronize movable data. A jabber-server maybe,
because many jabber servers unfortunately are not so reliable. And also
something that will contribute to P2P movement.

But what would you suggest? What software should i install and configure on
my VPS? Is it possible to configure it as Tor node or other stuff like
that? Maybe i shouldn't buy VPS but something else? Should i encrypt it?

Of course if i had more money myself or would be confident about donations
from others, i would setup something public like Diaspora pod or file-store
or whatever.

And of course ideal situation is something like buying plug computer with
FreedomBox, but right now it is not really possible.

Looking forward for your advice.

sindikat