[P2P-F] Thoughts on OWS

James Wallbank jw at access-space.org
Wed Nov 30 16:11:27 CET 2011

Hi Natalie,

I also suggest that the OWS movement has already been a huge success. It
has brought the question of the distribution of wealth onto the
political agenda where it simply wasn't before. Previously, all
political discussion of wealth has been about total national wealth -
not its distribution. Now it's an issue for 99% of voters.

You say, "the energy is spent on housekeeping issues - not political
pressure" - however, those housekeeping issues are implicitly political.
What they're achieving is developing expertise and capacity to maintain
shared public living spaces and forums which operate outside
conventional economic models and dominant value systems. They show that
alternatives are possible.

I wonder whether more coherent, more focused protest and political
action might actually effect fewer changes.

Best Regards,

James
=====

On 30/11/11 08:21, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> hi Natalie, it must be hard to see, but at the same time, one has to
> think about the extraordinary achievements in such a short time ...
> building a movement is never going to be a walk in the park!
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Natalie Golovin <10natalie at cox.net
> <mailto:10natalie at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     I was so enthused-sent money-wanted to help-wanted to get support
>     from other groups to magnify political power. What’s happening??
>     I believe the strategy needs to be reworked.
>     The entire Occupy idea hasn’t been very successful. If you have a
>     campsite- as time passes, the energy is spent on housekeeping
>     issues-not political pressure. Issues revert to games with police
>     & maintenance. Distractions & bad actors within the camps alienate
>     off-site supporters.  Start over in the spring with new & vibrant
>     messages. Attack responsible parties-The FED-Treasury-SEC-Fannie &
>     Freddie-enough 4 starters. One huge march @ a time-revolving-with
>     an agreed-upon demand (just 1) & focusing on failures & evil
>     actors at each station. Wall Street is powerless without
>     politicians enabling them!!
>     I drove by our local pathetic group today- that had been moved to
>     the sidewalk & got really angry & teary. It doesn’t have to end
>     this way-Does it??

James Wallbank
CEO, Access Space Network Ltd.
Access Space, Unit 1, AVEC Building, 3-7 Sidney St, Sheffield S1 4RG
Access Space is UK Registered Charity: #1103837
Tel: +44 (0)114 2495522
Fax: +44 (0)114 2495533
Web: http://access-space.org