[P2P-F] ows as peer production

mp mp at aktivix.org
Wed Nov 23 20:19:58 CET 2011

when put like this, one really and clearly sees the continuum with
alter-globalisation events, from counter-summit camps through No Border
camps, and even before that: the free party scene, the rave scene,
Reclaim the Streets etc. (all the way back into the age of camping
hundreds of years ago): claiming a space, reorganising it and building a
new world.

the events and organisational approaches of OWS are very similar and
obviously come in extension of those experiences of globalisation
protests - and in many cases, there are old familiar faces at play.

the only thing that has changed, as far as i can tell, is that the
problems revealed and analysed previously have now found resonance with
more people in the rich part of the world, because suddenly suffering
has come home to roost (when it was predominantly children of colour in
exotic countries, people were happy to buy a Save the Children badge to
patch their conscience).

On 23/11/11 18:17, Michel Bauwens wrote:

> I think ows produces a political commons and does that pretty much in a
> standard peer production way,
>
> they have a commons, zuccoti park,
>
> they have the general assembly and different substructures, but which do
> not command and control the movement,
>
> for example, the finance working group, which looks for money,
>
> they have sophisticated provisioning systems
>
> the last three are equivalent to the for-benefit associations in open
> source,
>
> finally, they have an enterpreneurial coalition, such as the ows street
> vendor association,
>
> I have documented this through
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:OccupyWallStreet, in detail,
>
> so,
>
> ows produces 'politics', and it has governance,
>
> it has no clear property, but the commons aspect, i.e. it can be used and
> remixed, would cover that
>
> this is quite illuminating, http://p2pfoundation.net/Occupy_Wall_Street_API

NOT sent from a flippin' "smart"phone - 'cause I like birds...