[P2P-F] "Currency Wars" ?

Tere Vadén tere.vaden at uta.fi
Sun Nov 13 22:58:50 CET 2011

Ch 8, CREDIT VERSUS BULLION AND THE CYCLES OF HISTORY, e.g., p. 213:

"If we look at Eurasian history over the course of the last five thou­
sand years, what we see is a broad alternation between periods domi­
nated by credit money and periods in which gold and silver come to
dominate-that is, those during which at least a large share of transac­
tions were conducted with pieces of valuable metal being passed from
hand to hand.
Why? The single most important factor would appear to be war. Bullion
predominates, above all, in periods of generalized violence. There's a
very simple reason for that. Gold and silver coins are distin­ guished
from credit arrangements by on� spectacular feature: they can be stolen.
A debt is, by definition, a record, as well as a relation of trust.
Someone accepting gold or silver in exchange for merchandise, on the
other hand, need trust nothing more than the accuracy of the scales, the
quality of the metal, and the likelihood that someone else will be
willing to accept it. In a world where war and the threat of violence
are everywhere-and this appears to have been an equally ac­ curate
description of Warring States China, Iron Age Greece, and pre­ Mauryan
India-there are obvious advantages to making one's trans­ actions
simple. This is all the more true when dealing with soldiers."