[P2P-F] namespace

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Nov 8 05:14:22 CET 2011

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/how-the-privatization-of-the-public-sphere-criminalizesencloses-the-occupywallstreet-protest-commons/2011/11/06

hi sepp, could you look into this suggestion?

Michel

   1. jim costanzo <http://aaronburrsociety.org/> Says:
   November 8th, 2011 at 2:51
am<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/how-the-privatization-of-the-public-sphere-criminalizesencloses-the-occupywallstreet-protest-commons/2011/11/06#comment-486689>
   e<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/comment.php?action=editcomment&c=486689>

   This posting addresses important core issues so I would like to draw
   attention to another threat to our commons, as well as, our per to per
   practices. The Internet has become as vital as water and air to our
   physical persons. It is something that is ubiquitous while often being
   taken for granted. Today the Internet is our basic form of communication,
   our quickest access to free speech and in some ways the quintessential
   universal commons.

   In addition to the Aaron Burr Society’s history and our involvement with
   OWS, we have been working with our friend Paul Garrin who has been working
   to keep access to the Internet as part of the commons. In 1996 Paul wrote
   “This race toward ‘privatization’ is taking place behind closed doors and
   in corporate boardrooms, well outside the sphere of public debate, and
   threatens the very existence of free speech over electronic networks.”

   http://wwww.next5minutes.org/artikel.jsp;jsessionid=D31A1BAB0F0209593DD5C4944C72628E?dossierid=22375&subdossierid=206038&articleid=206196

   Paul is an artist & cultural producer who in 1996 started Name.Space to
   register top-level domain names. In 2003 he started WIFINY to provide
   broadband Internet access as an alternative portal and to provide access to
   underserved communities. Both companies are based on the Social Enterprise
   model. This means that serving the common good is built into the business
   model. One of the important goals for each company is to empower local
   communities by providing the digital tools that can be used to create
   sustainable, self-sufficiency.

   Both of these companies are currently working to both expand and protect
   access to the Internet. One of the more interesting developments will
   involve next year’s applications for top-level domain names. For more
   information go to the websites listed below.

   http://about.namespace.org/about/
   https://wifiny.net/

   In the spirit of full disclosure, Paul is a charter member of the Aaron
   Burr Society and he has been my Internet provider since the last century.
   And, as previously stated, I have been working with Paul on these endeavors.