[P2P-F] Fwd: CommonSource Monthly Update - October 2011

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Nov 8 04:14:05 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neal Gorenflo <neal at shareable.net>
Date: Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM
Subject: CommonSource Monthly Update - October 2011

Dear Stakeholders,

October is our 2nd anniversary of our launch. It's only appropriate that
this month we reached more people than ever - by a pretty big margin.
 Here's more on an exciting month:

-ShareNY <http://www.shareable.net/blog/announcing-share-new-york> on 11/19
& 20 is about 20 tickets away from selling out.  Milicent has been on the
ground in New York the last two weeks putting the finishing touches on the
event and organizing tirelessly.  Please share this event with your New
York friends.

-We're going to SXSW again!  Our
panel<http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/9260>on the sharing
economy was one of 600 selected from a field of over 3,200
entries.

-Paul Davis produced an entire series on crowdfunding then packaged it up
as an e-book for Kindle and iPad, a first for Shareable.  Check out
Crowdfunding Nation for Kindle
here<http://shareable.net/blog/crowdfunding-nation-now-available-as-kindle-ebooks>.
Still waiting for approval for the Apple store.

-We continued our series on Policies for a Shareable
City<http://shareable.net/blog/policies-for-a-shareable-city> with
partner the Sustainable Economies Law Center, which is reaching a
relatively small but influential audience of urbanists.  I was interviewed
about the series on Awakening Value Radio.  We have about 13 more posts to
go in a 20-part series.

-We increased our coverage of Occupy Wall Street.  That's been driving a
lot of new visits to Shareable.  There's probably more we can do to
introduce this movement to the solutions we write about.  Any suggestions?

-I organized a panel at the Institute of the Future about peer production
featuring Shareable editorial advisor Michel Bauwens of the P2P Foundation.
 It was well attended, and our relationship with both organization
continues to grow.

-We continue to get coverage from many interesting places, including the
inaugural issue of Trash Magazine in Finland, an impressive magazine for
optimists and designers. This adds to increasing pick up of our content by
CommonDreams and Huffington Post, which is helping us reach a huge number
of new readers.

TOP STORIES
-3D Printing to Community to Crowdsource Saving a Species
-10 Projects to Liberate the Web
-Microtouch: An Open Source, DIY eBook Reader and Mobile Device
-Architectural Myopia: Designing for Industry, Not People
-The Next Net
-Libraries Become Centers for Sharing
-Libraries Are Doing More With Less
-Crowdfunding Nation

SITE STATS:
We had a record month in October due to our series on libraries,
crowdfunding, and Policies for Shareable Cities. Plus, we got lucky with a
couple pickups by Slashdot.  I doubt we'll match this in November, but I
expect to upward trend to continue over the long term.

Unique visitors: 75,798, up 90%
Pageviews:  142,568, up 48%
Average time on site: 2:10 minutes, down 15%
Facebook members: 13,343, up around 3%
Twitter members: 7,441, up around 5%
Alexa rank: 52,382, improved by about 5K places

Happy 2nd Anniversary everyone!  Thanks for helping to move sharing and
commons into the mainstream - it's a matter of survival that we do this
work.  We have an amazing opportunity for service.  And I'm grateful to be
on this journey with you.

Please reach out with any questions or suggestions.  Thanks again,

-Neal

--

Neal Gorenflo | Publisher, Shareable <http://shareable.net/> |
@ShareableDesign <http://twitter.com/#%21/ShareableDesign> | 415.867.0429