[P2P-F] how zaarly is empowering local markets

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri May 20 07:52:30 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> sam, could you explain the scaling issue, and what you see as the solution
> to it?

Food: For 90% of people in the region I am in, this system would not
afford what producers, distributors and consumers would need to comply
with state and federal law if they were moving or producing a volume
larger than a few small boxes. There are open source software options
that could help here, but would still need work to create a regulation
compliant distributed marketplace.

Energy: People could possibly facilitate limited transactions around
energy on zaarly, but there is no useful distribution mechanism, and
zaarly as a website is not optimized for any kind of energy stocks and
flows transactions. So, not impossible, but would be very inefficient.

Manufacturing: (similar to complex food processing) when things start
to scale up in manufacturing, you need systems that can automate bill
of materials, procurement, accounting, invoicing, production planning,
pricing, etc over time. Zaarly doesn't do any of this.

The solution I see is that a website like zaarly is great for what is
already emerging on zaarly (simple exchanges of relatively simple
things). However, if and when needs cross a threshold of being more
than just a few simple things bought and sold (or otherwise
transacted) then a website like zaarly would need to provide
participants with the tools to deal with more complex dynamics around
flows and stocks of wealth. A zaarly-style website that deals with
food transactions would take on complying with regulations around food
safety and tracking origin/presence of food.

I realize that zaarly never specifically represented itself as being
fit for food/energy/manufacturing use. However, I use those areas of
need as a litmus test of sorts, since they are the most costly and
difficult need for most people to meet (discluding health care).

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com