[P2P-F] Fwd: India : 250,000 farmers have committed suicide...

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:51:48 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM
Subject: India : 250,000 farmers have committed suicide...
To: econowmix at googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: S

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/250-000-farmers-have-committed-suicide-and-chemical-intensive-methods-have-devastated-the-land-now-india-s-poorest-women-are-growing-a-quiet-revolution-seeds-of-hope-1.1101502?localLinksEnabled=false

WTF is going on???

250,000 farmers have committed suicide and chemical-intensive methods have
devastated the land Now India’s poorest women are growing a quiet revolution
Seeds of hope

 <http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php><http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/250-000-farmers-have-committed-suicide-and-chemical-intensive-methods-have-devastated-the-land-now-india-s-poorest-women-are-growing-a-quiet-revolution-seeds-of-hope-1.1101502?localLinksEnabled=false#have-your-say>

*BIG business agriculture promoted by Western corporations is to blame for
up to a quarter of a million farmers committing suicide over the last 10
years, according to community leaders in India.*

Poor farmers are forced to take out big loans to buy expensive pesticides
and fertilisers, and to dig wells for the increasing amounts of water they
need. But when their crops fail, or their wells dry up, they fall into debt
– and many thousands kill themselves out of desperation.