[P2P-F] DIY - forking - setting up a government - as legal entity ?

adavans at aol.com adavans at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 21:04:02 CET 2011

Dante, this is an interesting set of questions you've been asking in various ways.  I think you're thinking of a form of dual and/or parallel power.  What you need is a voluntary and open platform for self-governance that is self-regulating (i know, i know...i'm being just a little redundant here.)  This platform needs to be based on the ability of individuals to partner with all other individuals as required, both on an individual to individual basis and with the 'company of the whole' as it were.  It would probably have the properties of a social movement that is a company, and a company that is a social movement.  It would position itself to enter actual partnership arrangements with political jurisdictions on a more-or-less peer-to-peer basis.  A number of social movements of various kinds have come close enough to this scenario to deserve some mention.  For example, cooperatives in North America, particularly in Canada, have at times functioned as parliamentary parties whilst tending to the business of being farm cooperatives.  There was a larger populist social movement dynamic going on that made this possible.  The experience of cooperative federations in Emilia-Romagna is also very highly suggestive as well.  I normally think of social movements having two wings, but I'm thinking of suggesting that perhaps social movements can be three-winged birds or take on the metaphorical properties of a Harrier Jet.

Regards
Alan