[P2P-F] Our proposed plugin architecture for diaspora: Keep it distributed and outside of the application

Paul B. Hartzog paulbhartzog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:01:03 CET 2011

I added this to it as well:

As Sam Rose and I presented in 2009 in a conference on network ecologies:

"How can I make this work with other systems?"
produces more value than
"How can I make this work best for me?"
(Slide 21 : http://www.slideshare.net/paulbhartzog/flows-2009-uk-media-ecologies
)

Your API is more important then your internal features. For example,
being able to post to twitter and Facebook right from Diaspora status
is an incentive to use Diaspora over other interfaces.

The future is full of interfaces, and people will choose which ones
they'll use when and where. The more things the Diaspora interface
lets you do, the more advantageous it is.

Your API is simply another interface. And a crucial one.
In addition, if the extensions/plugins structure is an API-based
ecology using REST and/or other methods, then this insures ease of
development and ease of adoption.

-p

The Forward Foundation
http://www.ForwardFound.org
paul.b.hartzog at forwardfound.org
http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
http://www.panarchy.com
PaulBHartzog at panarchy.com
University of Michigan
PHartzog at umich.edu
The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
                 --Muriel Rukeyser

Perceive differently, then you will act differently.
                 --Paul B. Hartzog