[P2P-F] request for low-budget pirate FM radio solutions for Yemen

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:15:44 CET 2011

from liberationtech, if anyone can help,

Michel

Dear friends,

I'm not sure if you are following the news from my home country Yemen.
Demonstrations there have been increasing in number and area and have
reached a stage where demonstrators occupied areas of over one square
kilometer in strategic areas in main cities. I have been approached by
demonstrators who wish to broadcast what is being said at the main
stages. This includes announcements, speeches, songs, etc. A
suggestion was to use a low-budget pirate FM radio solution. I have
heard before that this type of technology is widely accessible but
ranges are quite limited. Some experiments took place in Belarus as
far as I know. But if there are ways to place amplifiers in strategic
locations in main cities, I think it could have a tremendous effect,
especially for a population that relies on radio and TV in receiving
information.

Any clues or ideas of where to get information to help in this area?
There is a budget of $5000 for such a solution. Is that enough? This
is one of the websites I found about recently:
http://hubpages.com/hub/pirate-fm-broadcast-transmitter and it
mentioned the ability to broadcast to a range of 2km. That would be a
good start.

Thanks in advance, and do keep a close eye on Yemen as there may be
some surprises in the near future!

Sincerely,

Walid

Walid Al-Saqaf
Founder & Administrator
alkasir for mapping and circumventing cyber censorship
https://alkasir.com