[P2P-F] Chris Cook - "The Future of Property is No Property

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:09:59 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:18 AM
Subject: 2006 archive : Chris Cook - The Future of Money is No Money
To: econowmix at googlegroups.com, sustainable_solidarity at yahoogroups.com,
hc_ecology at yahoogroups.com

excerpt from Chris Cook,

"One could add *"The Future of Property is No Property"* since Property,
too, *is in fact a Relationship, not an Object*."

from a 2006 message :

more on

"Open Corporate" : google search
link<http://www.google.be/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=%22Open+Corporate%22#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=wGK&channel=cs&source=hp&q=%22Open+Corporate%22+chris+cook&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=88d22d22e77e9e9f>

http://p2pfoundation.net/Chris_Cook

*"it may serve as a framework for the various stakeholders to come together
to achieve the common purpose"*

Chris Cook excerpt :

My thesis is that we now see emerging a new alternative
for "investing" in productive assets in the shape of what I call
the "Open Corporate".

This new "legal wrapper" - which essentially renders the Company
obsolete -literally gives rise to a new form of indefinite "Property
right" - neither "freehold" nor "leasehold" but "Co-ownership"
between user and financier of property.

*This in turn is based upon neither Statute (enforced by government)
nor Common Law (enforced by judges) but something in between - a form
of consensual law best understood by the French distinction
between "Contrats de Mandat" ("one way" contracts essentially imposed
by one party on the other) and "Contrats de Societe" (contracts, such
as partnerships, negotiated and agreed consensually).*

I believe that such investment in land through "Community Land
Partnerships" (ie Community Land Trusts" which are members of a CLP
alongside investors and occupiers, instead of leasing land to
tenants) gives rise to a flow of land rental value which may be
exchanged on local "clearing systems".

Why would anyone want to do this?

The answers are:
(a) the requirement for "Equity Release" - vast amounts of Capital
are tied up in land and property values - in the UK over £1 trillion
is held free of mortgage by individuals over 65;
(b) the requirement for stable long-term revenue flows for pension
investment.

Non-toxic "Equity Release" investment using CLP's by pension funds in
the properties of pensioners constitutes, I believe, the mechanism
through which the process of "Assetizing" money will begin.

Finally, I like "The Future of Money is No Money" but consider that
in fact what we will see is a Money which is no longer a Central Bank
issued Object, but rather a Relationship.

One could add "The Future of Property is No Property" since Property,
too, is in fact a Relationship, not an Object.

Best Regards

Chris Cook