[P2P-F] definitions of ( hybrid networked ) modes of governance and, economics

Sy sytaffel at riseup.net
Thu Mar 3 12:35:49 CET 2011

Democracy doesn't mean rule of the majority. Etymologically its meaning
is the rule of the people. While common convention in representative
democracies is that this means majority rules, this is only one kind of
democratic system, and the one which historically was considered to be
'weak' democracy as allowing people to vote for a representative once
every four or five years gives the people only a small degree of power
to rule themselves.

This was contrasted with 'strong' or direct forms of democracy where
either the people were able to either manage their affairs without the
need for representatives to mediate for them, or those representatives
were only temporary and were able to be recalled at any time if people
were unhappy with their actions.

Consequently direct democracy has largely been associated with anarchist
leaning groups, such as social centres, squats and co-ops. Frequently
these groups opt to make decisions by consensus rather than majority
based decisions as this includes all participants in a meaningful way
and allows them to voice their objections to ideas rather than placing
them within an outvoted (and thus silenced) minority.