[P2P-F] Understanding European Governance ? - in context of Tobin Tax

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:12:37 CEST 2011

Below, a report showing the interest from the European Parliament in
relation to Financial Transaction Taxation.

//
*
*
*further notes, on how difficult in might be to actually adopt such
financial transaction tax through elected representative political
procedures :*

The Parliament seems, in my current understanding, to have only a limited
influence :
*a diluted power to approve or reject directives made by the European
Commission.*

[image: image.png]

( link to image - wikipedia
)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:European_Union_legislative_triangle.svg>

Based on the report below, it feels like the EU Parliament does not have the
power to choose the laws it wants to vote on, and which have precedent on
all other national and regional legislations.

It seems to me that the combined powers of the EU Parliament and of all the
other National and Regional Parliaments is less then that of the European
Commission and the European Council.

It seems - based on my current knowledge - that the EU Parliament, in
relation to proposals for directives, is merely relegated to a pressure
group with some kind of attention from media, towards a population which has
no powers to elect nor the European Commission, not the President of the
European Council , or more exactly the Councilium of the European
Union<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_the_European_Union>

The EU Parliament seems to have even less powers then the Council of the
European Union , as the Council seems to have the power to initiate EU law
itself :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_the_European_Union

*" In a few limited areas the Council may initiate new EU
law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_European_Union> itself.
"*

Hence, overall, the framework for political "democratic"
accountability<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accountability>seems to be
very limited, despite the EU Commissioners needing to be
approved once every few years by the European Parliament, a European
Parliament which itself is, at the scale of the population of the EU who
voted, apparently not very legitimate, considering the low voting turnout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_European_Union#Voter_behaviour

*"In 2009, the overall turnout was just 43%"*