[P2P-F] anagorism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:00:07 CEST 2011

Hi Kevin,

I wonder if you'd have some time to explore anagorism, a non-market approach

the passage also quotes a science-fiction about distributing labor,

see

Anagorism From P2P Foundation
Jump to: navigation <http://p2pfoundation.net/Anagorism#mw-head>,
search<http://p2pfoundation.net/Anagorism#p-search>

= Anagorism is the notion that the exchange paradigm can be overcome; that
cooperation can supplant competition. [1]<https://anagory.wordpress.com/about/>
[edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Anagorism?title=Anagorism&action=edit&section=1>
] Discussion [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Anagorism?title=Anagorism&action=edit&section=2>
] Anagorism and Labor/Employment

"Anagorism, of course, seeks an alternative to property and markets, not
just to employers and employees. How to implement an alternative to market
employment? One tool I envision is One Big Database for matching people to
“jobs.” One science fiction implementation is “Divab” in Ursula LeGuin’s
novel The Dispossessed. They key element to such a scheme, as I see it, is
transparency. The most odious burden the status quo labor market places on
me is the necessity of networking, or maintaining the type of social
contacts to know where at least some of the “unadvertised” openings are. The
statist approach, of course, would be to require public posting of all
vacancies. A dual power approach might start with the approach of
acknowledging that for now, information about available jobs is insider
information, but instead of seeking to become an insider through networking,
seek to expose the information through crowdsourcing. If One Big Database
can’t be created, at least a sort of distributed database should be
possible; hopefully indexing a larger fraction of the labor market than
proprietary engines such as monster.com, which makes people jump through
countless hoops of saying “no, thank you” to for-profit “universities” in
exchange for access to mostly low-value information.

I’m not sure what might be the ultimate goal of anagorism when it comes to
matters of employment or alternatives to it. Sufficiently cheap technologies
of automated manufacturing might mean total economic self-sufficiency for
each individual, without the interdependence which necessitates
push-and-shove venues such as trading in the market economy. High-tech
modification of the humyn form might result in people getting by with
physical inputs small enough to allow being self-supporting even on
Mechanical Turk wages. Perhaps we will settle for a soft anagorism in which
the market still operates, but more humanely, perhaps through extreme
transparency, or better yet, partial satisfaction of needs through
non-market activity." (
https://anagory.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/is-100-self-employment-either-realistic-or-desirable/)