[P2P-F] Open System

Rasmus Wikman rasmus.wikman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 01:22:45 CEST 2011

Hi all!

First; I'm very glad I found your Foundation. A relief to see that
there are other in the world that are concerned about the society!

My reason for joining; I co-founded a printing company some years back
and built a complete production management software for us. In the
browser, based on open source software and standards only.

After that I created a prototype web based design application to forgo
the commerical alternatives to give everyone the possibility to design.

I realised that because we have a revenue model based in the physical
world we don't have to rely on advertising, subscriptions and
transactions.

While it might sound like nothing, I firmly belive it to be the
fastest and least destructive way of re-achieving an open and free
Internet. When the physical industries realise they can use only open
source; they will. And sponsor development of all things open source.

Instead of trying to recreate the Internet, I believe that it would be
best to create a global P2P web based OS. The Internet is in it's
essence a collection of static and dynamic applications, just like a
desktop OS. So the next step for me was naturally to create a web
based operating system since it's technologically possible.

In the long run, this would mean that open hardware initiatives would
have access to the same production management software as everyone else.

I chose the name Ubuntu Online because I believe Ubuntu to be the best
of open source initiatives. Mainly because it marries the "old world"
with the new.

http://www.ubuntuonline.me

It's still a prototype and the description is rough, but I'm working
on it daily.

In an even longer run, it could be replaced with a completely new kind
of system based on all open information and communication systems.

I'd appriciate any feedback and reflections on the matter!

Best regards,

Rasmus Wikman