[P2P-F] [-empyre-] transforming human culture and the ideosphere through collective intellectuality

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jul 29 17:24:38 CEST 2011

Dear Simon,

I'm a little surprised of your interpreation of Kimura as being Fordist, in
fact, I think both of you are grappling with post-fordist epistemology and
social practice, but I think you're taking a different perspective of what
is a same process,

as I see it, his concern is to create authentically thinking individuals who
can engage in the global ideosphere as  equals, and in this way, he is
saying, 'everybody else is really in you' and you have to know that; while
your perspective it seems, is the new type of collective process of creation
that it engenders. But for my point of view, individuality, relationality,
and collectivity, are three necessary aspects and perspectives on the new
emerging peer to peer dynamics, which change all three.

I'm exploring this at length in
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Relationality

I'm citing a short article on my own 'relational' point of view, and below,
see Kimura on alignment

To say a bit more about my own intellectual background, it is largely
situated in the 'integral tradition', an extra-academic tradition that most
'postmodern-influenced' academics are generally unaware of ... Names are
Aurobinda, Sarkar, Jean Gebser, Ken Wilber, Roy Bhaskar, and I think Kimura
is at least aware of this, as I've seen references to wilber, in the essays
I have browsed through today. In a nutshell, it's a subjective-objective
reading of reality, which refuses to separate them, so it's neither
materialist, nor idealist, in the old classic marxist sense, but 'both at
the same time'.

In any case here are two quotes I wanted to share, from
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?p=102 and,
http://p2pfoundation.net/Next_Buddha_Will_Be_A_Collective (followed by
Kimura)

"*Postmodernism was all about deconstructing oppressive mental structures
that we inherited from modernity. Amongst other things the Cartesian
subject/object split and the alienating effects of Kantian's impossibility
of knowing true reality; it was a necessary deconstructive passage, a
cleaning out process, but it didn't, as its names "post"- indicate,
construct anything. So in my view, if modernity was about constructing the
individual (along subject/object divisions), and postmodernity about
deconstructing this, then this new era, which I'ld like to call the era of
participation, is about constructing relationality or participation. We are
not going back to the premodern wholistic era and feelings, but just as
modernity was about rigorously individualising everything, eventually
reaching the current dead-end of hyper-individualism, we are now just as
rigorously 'relationising' everything. If in premodernity we thought, we are
parts of a whole that is one and above us, and in modernity we thought we
are separate and unified individuals, a world onto ourselves, and in
postmodernity saw ourselves fragmenting, and pretty much lamented this, then
this is the mash-up era. We now know that all this fragments can be
reconstructed with the zillions of fragment of the others, into zillions of
commonalities, into temporary wholes that are so many new creative projects,
but all united in a ever-moving Commons that is open to all of us..*

So the fragmentation of postmodernity is a given for us now, but we are no
longer lamenting, we are discovering the technologies (infrastructural,
collaborative-software-ish, political, but above all the mental and
epistemological) that allow us to use this fragmentation to create the Great
Cosmic Mash-Up. That is the historical task of the emerging Peer to Peer Era
*."*

2. From: The Next Buddha Will Be a
Collective<http://p2pfoundation.net/Next_Buddha_Will_Be_a_Collective>.

"the 3 paradigm shifts (open/free, participatory, commons), although only
emerging as seed forms at this stage, are letting themselves be felt through
contemporary spiritual practices. It suggests a new approach to spirituality
which I would like to call a contributory spirituality. This approach would
consider that each tradition is a set of injunctions set from within a
specific framework, and which can disclose different facets of reality. This
framework may be influenced by a set of values (patriarchy, exclusive truth
doctrines, etc…), which might be rejected today, but also contains
psycho-spiritual practices which disclose particular truths about our
relationship with the universe. Discovering spiritual truth then, requires
at least a partial exposure to these differential methods of truth
discovery, within a comparative framework, but it also requires
intersubjective feedback, so it is a quest that cannot be undertaken alone,
but along with others on the same path. Tradition is thereby not rejected,
but critically experienced and evaluated. The modern spiritual practicioner
can hold himself beholden to such a particular tradition, but need not feel
confined to it. He/she can create spiritual inquiry circles that approach
the different traditions with an open mind, experience them individually and
collectively, and where the different individual experiences can be
exchanged. In this way, a new collective body of spiritual experiences is
created, which is continuously co-created by the inquiring spiritual
communities and individuals. The outcome of that process will be a
co-created reality that is unpredictable and will create new, as yet
unpredictable spiritual formats. But one thing is sure: it will be an open,
participatory, approach leading to a commons of spiritual knowledge, from
which all humanity can draw from.

Alignment vs. Agreement

Yasuhiko G. Kimura:

"Alignment is congruence of intention, whereas agreement is congruence of
opinion.

Opinion is a supposition elevated to the status of a conclusion held to be
right but not substantiated by positive proof—rational or evidential.
Because disagreement means difference of opinion, disagreement often
escalates into a dispute as to whose opinion is right. When the dispute is
not resolved through the logic of argument, the illogic of might tends to
enter the realm of right , sometimes resulting in violent conflict.

Alignment does not require agreement as a necessary condition. Alignment as
congruence of intention is congruence of resolution for the attainment of a
particular aim. An aim being in and of the future, unknown or unpredicted
variables inevitably enter the generative equations for its achievement.
Inherent in alignment, therefore, is the spirit of quest.

The spirit of quest generates open and evolving dialogue-in-action.
Participants of a quest bring in diverse points of view while remaining
united in the same quest. When they jointly choose a course of action, they
know that the choice is a tentative mutual agreement, to be modified,
altered, or even discarded along the way. The question is not “who is right”
but “what is best” for the fulfillment of the intention.

Alignment engenders synergy.

Following R. Buckminster Fullerʹs definition, synergy means behaviors of
whole systems unpredicted by behaviors of their subsystems taken separately
and observed apart from the whole.(1) When individuals are aligned in quest,
their collective intelligence often produces results that are beyond the
intelligence of any single individual. Although the locus of thinking always
remains within the individual, the synergetic impact of the thinking of
others takes the individual beyond the normal mode and boundary of his or
her thinking.

Intelligence follows intention. Aligned intention creates a synergetic field
of spiritual coherence that works as a conduit for enhanced intelligence and
empowered action beyond the usual limitation of the individual. This
explains in part the occurrence of concentrated upsurges of phenomenally
creative geniuses in certain epochs in history, such as the ancient Greek
civilization, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment.

In an alignment-based organization or movement, disagreement among
participants does not diminish but rather enhances the power of the
alignment and its synergetic impact. Plurality and diversity of ideas and
views, united in a shared intention, mutually enrich one another toward the
achievement of an end. In an agreement-based organization or movement, on
the other hand, disagreement among participants often leads to internal
strife, divisive politics, splitting into cliques, or eventual demise.

An agreement-based organization can transform itself to an alignment-based
organization by shifting its value focus from agreement to alignment, from
opinion to intention. Alignment is not a static state; it is a dynamic
process of constant aligning and realigning in the continual movement of
time through the timeless commitment to an intention.

People who differ in their opinions can align in their intentions. No more
do we need the usual politics of opinion-domination, which is subverting the
very integrity of human-unity. What we need instead is a new politics of
intention-alignment, which is a cocreative art of peaceful and mutually
contributory coexistence of people and nations through alignment beyond
agreement or disagreement." (
http://via-visioninaction.org/via-li/articles/Alignment_Beyond_Agreement.pdf)

 Source

Alignment Beyond Agreement. Excerpted from The Journal of Integral Thinking
for Visionary Action, Vol. One No. Four 2003