[P2P-F] [Open Manufacturing] Source Control - Freedom through Sharing The Open Factory - an Open Hardware factory in an Irish Ecovillage.

Atrus atrus6 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 04:06:48 CEST 2011

As you said Bryan, some is still paying. If you need a project done, and you
don't have the skills for it, you must pay someone else, or convince someone
to give their time. In addition to that, there is open source software that
pays.

Start up costs are also a lot lower. The only real cost is your time, there
is no specialized equipment needed, that costs money. This is not the same
for DiyBio, RepRap or other projects. It's more affordable to program in
your spare time. As a child, programming was the only avenue that I had,
because I had no money. I just had to go to the library, and read a book and
type on a computer.

There still needs to be a flow of money with more physical projects. You
need labor to build it, labor to maintain it, and constant material to feed
it. A single open sourced machine will not "put maximum competition and
minimum wages", because there are a billion different fields that will pick
up the displaced labor.

Tim Butram
http://www.worldsproject.org