[P2P-F] [P2P-Coop] Google grants?

Denis Postle d.postle at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 9 14:43:10 CEST 2011

I echo Amaia's concerns about access to the P2P resources. I still find
it difficult to navigate and I have been wary of pointing colleagues to
the pages for this reason.

As suggested, a newbie landing page with a link-rich introduction to the
whole P2P collection of resources would be very valuable.

Denis

On 09/07/2011 04:39, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> hi Amaia,
>
> no frayed nerves here <g> ... the look and feel and perhaps even
> organization could be improved, but like any voluntary project, it
> depends on volunteers to do it ....
>
> the organization itself however, is not too difficult, as you say,
> once you put your head round it, 3 columns, one about us, one about
> topics, one per 'format', and a special list of languages .... this
> being said at 17m pageviews, there's clearly a bit of people who can
> already use it ...  not sure if the wikipedia itself, hugely
> successfull, is any 'simpler' to use ...
>
> some of the design issues I see as priorities is:
>
> - having two column intro pages for each section
>
> - adding a visualizaiton and a contact network for each section
>
> - have both a simple entry page for newbies, and a 'advanced' intro
> page (as it is now) for non-newbies
>
> - creating a separate wiki, p2pfoundation.com
> <http://p2pfoundation.com>, with a lot less and only nicely presented
> intro material,
>
> we had a design project going with some funds we got, but franco and
> James said the proposal was not appropriate ..
>
> by the way, I think we should move this discussion to "platform", as
> it is separate from our coop projects,
>
> Michel
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Amaia Arcos
> <amaia.arcos at googlemail.com <mailto:amaia.arcos at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'll keep an eye out for ethical advertisers, I looked into this a
>     few years ago for a project I had. I'll dig my old bookmarks
>     although I was looking into advertisers with a traveller audience.
>     I guess the audience here is quite different. Free Google Ads
>     wouldn't hurt though.
>
>     I hope what I am about to comment is not taken the wrong way, it
>     is just me wondering what your general view on this is but what
>     about sprucing up the look of the p2p foundation site(s)? The wiki
>     format feels off-putting to most who are not geeky enough. I think
>     a more user friendly/self explanatory first impression would have
>     more chances of attracting advertising. It would also feel more
>     welcoming to not so academic/geeky types who might still find its
>     content very interesting. I know Jane, for example, told me she
>     got super confused as soon as she landed on the p2p foundation's
>     home page. She felt the whole thing was incomprehensible to her.
>     It is true that once you get your head round it and calmly have a
>     look at it, you get it but that first initial reaction is very
>     decisive..
>
>     I really hope I am not touching any nerves here :S,
>
>     Amaia

The Mind Gymnasium FREE ebook Library <http://www.mind-gymnasium.com/>
A unique digital resource for Personal and Professional development