[P2P-F] [P2P-URBANISM WA] Any of you use map layering for p2p urbanism open collaboration projects ?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:46:53 CET 2011

Just a question to this crowd of urban experts.

I once read that Chinese cities used to produce 60% of their food
requirements within or just around their city walls. Does anyone have a
reference for this.

A remark on ruralization. I don't think we should empty out the cities, but
nevertheless, a new balance may be necessary. As I see it, people leave
rural areas for two main reasons, one is they have to for reasons of
economic survival, as capitalist dynamics destroy their livelyhoods; but the
other one is cultural: many young people, leave rural areas for cultural
reasons, they see no dynamic future in their static and isolated rural
areas. Here is where the Global Villages strategy of Franz Nahrada comes in,
the use digital connectivity, empowerement and peer learning to de-isolate
the rural. I can take my own life as an example, I can be a throught leader
from a provincial city in the forests of northern thailand, a place which
two generations ago was still three days travel from the capital city, but
is now connected through global satellites and broadband internet, and I
feel hardly any sense of isolation anymore. Of course, I have the cultural
capital to use these tools, which many still lack, but these are not
insurmountable problems. Just want to say, it's not either-or, rural or
urban, but a mix, and my guess is that the relocalization you call for, and
a return to say organic sustainable agriculture, will require a more labour
intensive rural area. I've read, again I forgot where, that a sustainable
world would perhaps require a return to a rural population of about 20%.

Michel

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:58 AM, MIGUEL ALOYSIO SATTLER <masattler at gmail.com